Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Driverack PA+ crossover issue

icopulateicopulate Posts: 6
Apologies as this topic had already been covered. (Did a search & found many post but it does not specifically let me know what i wanted to know).
Do not have friends to teach me, tried reading the maunal but my understanding of the vocab is not very good.

All the while i just use signal distributor for splitting sound signal for my powered boxes.
Did not use "thru"/"link" as different area need diff volume.

Now going to run all powered boxes using "link"..all speakers same volume.

Here is where i do not really understand.
From the manual shows>> 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x5, 2x6 crossover configurations.
I read it as 2 way or 3way X certain speaker? + stero /mono sub?

*My case will be using "L+R" to mains then i link them to all other powered boxes.
(Leaving 4 outputs free at the back of the driverack)
*I am stuck here as have 4 subs over some years. 2 piece is same make & model single 18", the other 2 piece is different by themselves; 1 piece 18" & the other 15".

I want to know if Driverack PA the crossover; can it be individually set/control for sub duty/time aligment for the rest of the 4 output socket?

Meaning the first 2 outputs for mains (powered box), the rest of the 4 output are only used for LFE signal?
Eg: 1st & 2nd (L+R), 50Hz to xxxxxHz... then the rest of the 4 output can be individual set to low pass of any Hz i want?
EDITED here> The 3rd & 4th output i will connect to the pair of single 18" sub. Now, the 5th & 6th output are also going to be used for sub signal, can it be Low Pass individually & time aligne for the 5th & 6th output?

Hope all can understand my poor english.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    The crossover types are:
    2x2= stereo in stereo out High outs only...
    2x3= stereo in Stereo out with mono subs.. high outs and summed Lmono out
    2x4= stereo in stereo out and stereo subs.. high outs and low outs
    2x5= stereo in could be used with biamp tops, or 2 different types of tops, or 2 tops and 2 different subs (like yours) High, Mid and left (mono) low out
    2x6= stereo in and the above with all 6 outs...

So, for you yes, set up a 2x6 and you can HPF and LPF the subs differently, and you have 10 feet of delay for each output for alignment...
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    Hi,

2x4= stereo in stereo out and stereo subs.. high outs and low outs
    2x5= stereo in could be used with biamp tops, or 2 different types of tops, or 2 tops and 2 different subs (like yours) High, Mid and left (mono) low out
    2x6= stereo in and the above with all 6 outs...

So, for you yes, set up a 2x6 and you can HPF and LPF the subs differently, and you have 10 feet of delay for each output for alignment...

Thank you Gadget, for sharing with a greenhorn like me on DBX products regarding what those mean.

If i happen to go for small gig rental. (Bring 2 subs + 2 main), is it a must to set to 2x4? (the internal filters work for me > i plug & play) ; can i assume 2x6 will work too (just that it needed manually set them).

So this PA+ is almost like the same as 260?
    For my application that it....because the vendor keep asking me to get 260, he said more $ is more better..
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The vendor is absolutely correct.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    The 260 is FAR superior to the DRPA+ and worth FAR more than the difference in price...

Unless the presets are provided by the manufacturer they are SUSPECT.. and should be looked at with skepticism...

You could use a 2X3, 2X4, you could even use a 2X5 or 2X6 and just not use the mid outs, but you would ALWAYS want to look at the xover points and HPF for the subs (on non powered speakers... they usually have HPF and limiter that are not defeat-able).

There are many articles on the what crossover to use for what speakers.. and why:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3056