Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

266XL locks up ?

its_jonits_jon Posts: 8
I am using a 266XL Compressor.

2 Mics from a Trumpet and a Sax into the dbx... then out into 2 mixer strips.

The 1st channel (usually the Trumpet) locks up.... Gain reduction lights remain on and the sound dies. The Sax channel (right channel) continues to work.

any ideas ?

Could someone using the Mixing desk cause a channel of the Compressor to Cut out ?

Taking the power cable out of the compressor, then replacing appears to 'reset' the compressor and it starts to work once more

?????

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I don't really have an answer, but I am curious if both channels are set the same, and if you have swapped the inputs (trumpet & sax) with the other channel freezing.

It does sound like a circuit not unlatching either when the threshold is clear or the release time has passed.

DRA
  • both mics are identical ... and both channels set the same or as close as (maybe a slight gain difference)..

oddly, when both channels are coupled (so channel 1 settings are applied to both) we don't get the problem

and yet its channel 1 that locks up when both are independant

??
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Not like a digital device, can't "lock up" Most likely an internal component and it needs service. If your good with electronics and it's out of warranty you might clean the pots and check the traces... looking for cold solder joints or cracked ones...
  • as turning the power off and on gets it working again.... any suggestions about which pots to look at first ?
    Clean ALL the pots and check ALL the traces...I like Caigs De-oxit, and if there is ANY question about a solder joint re-do it!
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    It sounds like the gate function is locking up
  • took it apart.

very clean inside.

looked at both sides of both circuit boards.

all solder joints look perfect and well done ... gold star dbx !

I degreased both boards and attended to pots .. The pots are still 'first use' tight and without any crackling, but I looked at them anyway.

I managed to nip the earth from the transformer a bit tighter.. but only a little bit.

guess I will find out soon if its going to fail again.
    Will try using it without the gate as well.

thanks for the support.
    The 266xl is ex studio. so has never had heavy gig use.
    Well, if you have done everything then you have eliminated those things and the only thing left is a trip to the service center...