Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

Driverack PA home audio config issues...

kellymichkellymich Posts: 7
edited January 2013 in PA Configuration Wizard
I'm having a bit of trouble getting a setup that is what I need and would appreciate some feedback. In the past my setup drove two JBL towers and a JBL sub for small/med sized clubs. I haven't been playing live for a few years and a lot of my equipment just sits there. I decided to do some research into using my DRPA for my home audio and have seen a lot of folks have had great results. My main speakers are Polk LSi25's. The DRPA will only run these two speakers. The speakers have two inputs, one for Mids/Highs and one for the Low and the subs have built in amps.

I know a lot of "purists" would likely schoof at this but I really don't fall into that category. I have this equipment sitting here not doing much and plan to give it a go. We'll see how it works out but am giving it a trial.

My plan is to send from my DAC --> pre-amp (with XLR outputs) --> DRPA High --> Crown CE 1000 --> Polks High/Mids input. Then for the subs from the DRPA in Mono straight to each of the Polk's Low input on each speaker. Of course I would then shut off the compressor, limiters, sub synth, and feedback eliminator.

When running setup it keeps asking for my High, Mid, and Sub amps. I thought I had set it up properly as 2X3 but not sure as I assume it would only ask for two amps? The DRPA Low amp will be set to Custom and I'll likely have to tinker with that.

Just trying to get the settings right and not sure where I'm going wrong. I have been searching the forums and support but haven't seen what I'm looking for. Since I haven't set this up in awhile I'm having a little trouble just getting this set correctly.

Thank you,
Kelly

Comments

• Ok, looks like I've got it setup, just had to keep testing. I set my crossover for Low from 20Hz to 180Hz, then High from 180Hz on up through the high.

I set the Low amp to custom and the High to the CE1000.

Any insights on possible things to keep an eye on or to double check? Any possible hazards? I have the CE1000 set to only 25% volume and likely wont go beyond that for awhile.

My speakers and cables arrive Tuesday but I still need to pickup two XLR to RCA or banana cables for going from the DRPA to the sub inputs on the speakers.

Kelly
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    We'll be here.

DRA
  • Everything is running great and sounds awesome!

I do have a couple questions though as I had planned on Bi-Amping with DRPA Low output going to the subs and the High output to the mids/high that has a hardware crossover. After talking with the manufacturer I am actually just sending the DRPA High output to the bridged input on the speaker and let it handle all of the crossover functions. For DRPA High I have set the crossover all the way down to 20Hz so it sends all frequencies to the High output. I didn't see a way to disable the DRPA crossover so I'm curious if there is a better way to do this?

Also, is there a way to just exit out of a menu? For example, I press XOver button to see the XOver settings but the only way I have found to exit the screen is to hit store 3 times. Is there a better way to just get back to the main screen?

Thank you,
    Kelly
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Is there a better way to just get back to the main screen?

Press the PROG button.

DRA

PS - Still not quite sure what you are asking in you other questions.
  • Right now the DRPA is driving only one set of speakers. Those speakers are plugged into the High output. Since I need the full range to go out the High output I set the High XOver low side to 20Hz.

Just curious if there is a better way to get the full range to one set of outputs. I didn't see a direct way to just disable the XOver.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You can set all of the outputs to fullrange operation, in fact the ONLY band you cannot set a HPF AND an LPF is ... the HI outputs.. there is no LPF on the high outs...

You do realize that there is NO WAY your speakers can reproduce 20 hz... don't you? And that if you use an HPF you can PROTECT the speakers from over excrusion??? :wink:
  • I was curious about the range and just followed the specs posted on the company website.
    OOOOOOOOOOOO... those look SWEET! :D How do they sound?

In this case you could probably set the HPF @ 20-25 hz, but I'd put a BW24 filter on them at the very least...I would also let the DRPA be the system controller for Hi and subs...

I have a pair of Infinity RSII, a pair of LSI (can't remember :mrgreen: ) Pioneer HPM 150's and a Sunfire Trusub... :shock: :shock:
  • They sound really good so far but still not broken in yet so anxious to be able to really give them a run once they are. I have been thinking about removing the terminal jumper and running the sub via the DRPA and will once they are fully broke in.

Those Infinity RSII are really nice and I have wanted to hear those Sunfire True Subs, I've heard they are really nice. Of course my dream sub is a Velodyne 1812, man it looks like a monster! The HPM 150s are a great speaker too, sounds like a really nice setup.

I'm not sure how to do a BW24 filter and will look that up. What exactly does it do?

In the past my DRPA always did club duty and with JBL towers / Subs and it's been a cool and interesting test using it for a home setup. So far I'm really happy.
    Have you looked into the Sunfire...I bet it's every bit as impressive as the Velodyne...The thing is tiny.. less 1 cubic foot and weighs in at about 85 lbs...with a 2700 watt amp and 2 d" drivers with an Xmax of 2.35" :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock:

18hz (+-3dB) that means it reproduces down to 7-8 hz audibly.. excuse me.. nothin audible about that.. but EVERY single loose joint in the furniture, the windows, floors and anything else loose will rattle and fart and :mrgreen::mrgreen: you'll REALLY find out what your place is made of!

Yes the combination in my 'cinema' living room is ..enjoyable 8)

Danley makes a kit that goes all the way to 12-15hz as well
    http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products ... ts-10_kit/
    and some others

The HPF specified is a very steep shelf that protects the subwoofer from over excrusion and is available on the DRPA as a crossover slope.. we usually spec the 3dB down point with an 18dB BW (Butterworth) filter...