Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

3-way Speakers setup

mrmanmnmrmanmn Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hello all,

I'm new to this DriveRack PA+ and I'm NOT a pro, some of the terms I'm seeing I do not understand - so be patience with me.

The equipment I got were put together over the years but I just got the DriveRack PA+ recently.

I have:
Mackie 16 channel mixer
DriveRack PA+ (I bought the Driverack PA+ to replace my compressor & my feedback destroyer)
(1) Roland digital effect device (reverb/echo)
(2) Crown amps
(1) Harmon Kardon amp
(3) Sets of 3-way speaker (hi-fi speakers)

I'm using my system for ocasional karaoke. My question is how do I set up the DriveRack to produce 3 full range outputs? (note: I don't have High, Low or Sub separated)

Can anyone recommend a solution?

Thank you,

ManN

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Set up a 2x6 (stereo, custom, bi-amp, w/ sub). All this does is make all outputs functional. Now simply set all x-overs (H,M,L) to be full range. Be sure to set a Hi Pass Filter (lo cut filter) to protect your speakers from damage. Usually the -3db point as spec'd for the frequency response with a BW18 filter type. Regardless of the spec, don't set the freq any lower than 45hz.

Now on to some other things your mentioned.
    You said that you got it for compression. Were you using your old compressor for vocals (for example) or whole system (between the mixer and the amps). Whole system compression is generally frowned on. The Driverack has limiters for the purpose of preventing damage due to a dropped mic just just being too loud. Compressors by nature are designed to reduce the too loud and increase the too soft. For karaoke, increasing the soft could be very bad if it is really soft... feedback :oops: . The problem with whole system compression is that if the vocal is compressed... so is the music, and that doesn't sound good. Proper use of a compressor is on a per channel basis, so that only the offending source is reduced. The driverack cannot do that. It is a SYSTEM PROCESSOR.

Having said all that you will be amazed at the improvement you'll see.

Go to the read me first section and READ. Tons of good info there. Some may not apply to you, but you'd be surprised what you think doesn't apply actually will.

DRA