Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

RTA - excessive cuts & boosts in Auto EQ

Cover'dCover'd Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in PA General Discussion
Evening all smiley-greet024.gif

Have used a DriveRack PA for a number of years - primarily as a crossover and final limiter before an active PA

I currently use it full range (aside from a sharp sloped high pass at 40Hz) into QSC K-Subs and on to QSC K-10s (utilising the Ext Sub crossover option on the K-10s). I have a gentle PEQ curve presently applied (something like the 'classic wave' but only a 3bd lift in the lows, 3db cut around the mids and a 2db lift again in the highs). Am very happy with the sound, but do wonder if I might be missing out on some extra 'gold'..? thinking.gif

I have a dbx RTA mic, but haven't run the Auto EQ wizard on this particular system as yet. The reason for this is that in every previous RTA encounter, I've noticed -12db cuts and +12 boosts in random frequencies across the spectrum. Putting aside whether the resultant sound would have necessarily been good or bad, there's something about that degree of EQ which just strikes me as odd, or even, 'wrong' unsure.gif

So, are your thoughts or experiences with Auto EQ and the excessive cuts & boosts which can result..?

EDIT: Have just noticed the advice around the forum NOT to follow the manual blink.gif

Hummm... I wonder if this could be the main contributing factor..?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Personally I think your missing a lot....and yes if you follow the manual you'll end up with some pretty radical and often terrible sound.

If it were me I would also use the driverack for the crossover from subs to tops and NOT use the built in one...

Please take a look at the "Start here" and FAQ sections were we get into just how to PROPERLY do this...you may be surprised with the results...
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts Gadget, much appreciated thumbsup.gif

Any specific reason why you recommend using the DRPA crossover rather than the QSC designed stuff..? I'm happy to go down either route, but I'm curious to know what advantages (other than being able to treat the dynamics of the lows & highs differently) there are to utilising the DRPA and steering clear of the built in system..?

I've had a read through the Start Here stuff and yes, most of it is familiar and certainly rings true - I do recall gleaning the 'EQ your system to a flat response, not the room' gem before :)

However, even in an Auto EQ test in a field on a previous Mackie SWA1801 & SR1521 system, I noticed the 12db cuts and boosts too. Are manufacturer's response graphs really hiding such peaks and troughs..? A few tweaks I can understand, but it's the extremity of them which make me wonder what the truth is... unsure.gif

Perhaps the acid test is always one's ears and as I mentioned, the rig does sound great, but we always like 'better', don't we..?
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    other than being able to treat the dynamics of the lows & highs differently

Those are some pretty compelling reasons in and of themselves aren't they? I mean you'll have 2 PEQ's dedicated to the subs. Add to that various crossover schemes, and slopes and alignment delay. You do see that a dedicated DSP is going to be far more versatile and accurate than a small DSP built into the amplifiers don't you? I suspect the slope of the crossover frequency is a fixed 12dB/octave... with the DRPA you have multiple slopes up to 24 dB/octave linear phase crossovers..

As I said, try it, you might be surprised :wink:
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What random frequencies (+/- 12db)? That could be helpful. Actually, list everything.

You said that you followed the instructions in the "Start here" thread for outdoor auto EQ? Your results seem odd, if that is the case. Too close, too far, too low, too high, buildings, concrete, wind, bird, cars, door slamming, something...

DRA