Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Problem with mic placement for Auto EQ

mdepauwmdepauw Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hi -

Just got a DRPA+ last week and so am new to the forum. I've seen the posts regarding mic placement for the Auto EQ process, which poses a problem for me.

We are a church band playing in a small gothic-cathedral-style church playing contemporary music. (so the reverb is atrocious!) Anyways, placing the RTA mic on the floor 25 ft. directly in front of one of the speakers will place it under the church pews. I assume this is bad. Placing in front of the church pews would put the mic about 12-15 ft. in front of the speakers.

I would appreciate suggestions.

Thank you!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Is there an aisle (the wider the better) in the general line of fire?

DRA
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    mdepauw wrote:
    Hi -

Just got a DRPA+ last week and so am new to the forum. I've seen the posts regarding mic placement for the Auto EQ process, which poses a problem for me.

We are a church band playing in a small gothic-cathedral-style church playing contemporary music. (so the reverb is atrocious!) Anyways, placing the RTA mic on the floor 25 ft. directly in front of one of the speakers will place it under the church pews. I assume this is bad. Placing in front of the church pews would put the mic about 12-15 ft. in front of the speakers.

I would appreciate suggestions.

Thank you!
    Mike

Select the correct mic position and lay a sheet of plywood across the top of the pews at that point. Set the mic on the plywood. The capsule end of the mic should almost touch the plywood
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Exactly (well I was going to suggest a folding table... or 2 from the kitchen...) what I was going to suggest :mrgreen:

Also, if the reverb is that bad, aim the speakers at the people (and keep it off the hard surfaces) and keep the volume as low as possible! these are the only ways (including getting the frequency response as flat as possible to not excite the room further) to deal with these problems...
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Pews are a blessing and a curse. The pews will break up the waves, but add a tight flutter (as opposed to a direct wall bounce). Louder is often worse than softer . Less volume with less reverberation is easier to hear well than more volume and more reverberation (a natural bi-product of volume). Sometimes the room just can't take anymore.

The table / plywood idea is a good one.

DRA
  • Options
    Beautiful!! Thanks so much!

Do I point the mic at the plywood? (I saw this in a picture here somewhere) Or do I set it on a towel and point it at the speaker?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    That or place a towel on the table and aim it at the speaker... that's probably best.. IMHO,,,