Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

How much power is enough ? & Xover settings

StephanCStephanC Posts: 24
First big thanks to Dra, and Gadget :D , I have been lurking since CRAM was online, but afraid to post my system due to lack of power, it's getting there but like most having issues with Xover settings

Previous system
Mackie- DRPA- Crown CE2000 (400 watts to 8OHms) - Carvin TR1503's Rated 600 watts 80hms

Current system

Mackie-DRPA- Crown XLI 3500 (the new ones) 1000 watts to 8 ohms - TR 1503 tops
Crown CE 2000 Bridged (1320 watts) to _ one Carvin TRX 18" sub 800 watts 8 Ohms

OK As Gadget stated Auto EQ has the highs so loud that I have to cut by 6-8 db to get a good sound ...sorry OK need to do outdoor but waiting for spring Here in Maine

I have the system setup as stereo 3 way ( Low pass from 45-100 high pass from 100 up should they end and begin at the same freq) , I plan to get the other matching sub and another amp just not sure how much power it will take , I am not sure if bridging is good as I heard it will double the distortion (OK not a problem) and half the Damping factor , isn't the damping factor more important for subs , ]

I am thinking about another XLI 3500 for the subs but doesn't seem like enough power or the macrotech (Crown) 5000 that has 1250 watts for 8ohms but $ that a lot for a once in a while weekend warrior

Any advice would be appreciated I will post all the specs for speakers amps ASAP

Thanks for all the helpful post from all

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Mackie-DRPA- Crown XLI 3500 (the new ones) 1000 watts to 8 ohms - TR 1503 tops
    and then you say:
    I have the system setup as stereo 3 way

1. 3 way takes one amp for the highs, one amp for the mids and one amp for the lows...you list 2 amps.. so your going to have to be more specific about whats going on...stereo 3 way takes 6 channels...

So, before we can go any further we really need some clarification here...
  • Options
    Oops :cry:

It's 2x3 within the driverack, one amp xli 3500 to power the 2 Carvin TR 1503s as tops (almost full range ?) and one amp Crown CE 2000 bridged for now to power the Carvin TRXN , so stereo with one sub.

• Options
    Here is the speaker info Sorry should have posted looking at those specs has me rethinking the BFM Titans :?

Carvin TR1503 Specs -3 way w 15� woofer
    Frequency Response: 600w 48 Hz to 19 kHz ±3 dB
36 Hz
    Useable Low Frequency: 48 Hz to 19 kHz ±3 dB
36 Hz
    Power Handling: 600w Continuous Program Pw 100 to 1200 watts
    Recommended Amp: 100 to 1200 watts
    Sensitivity: 103 dB SPL, 1 Watt @ 1 meter
    Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

TRXN 118 18� Reflex subwoofer
    Frequency response 29Hz-265Hz (-10db)
    35 Hz-150 Hz (-3db)
    Crossover Frequency 150 Hz
    Power Continous Program Peak
    Full Range 800w 1600w 3200 (really?)
    Recommended Amplifier Power 1200w-2400w
    Sensitivity (1w 1 meter) 98dB
    Maximum spl 127dB
    LF Driver 18� neodymium 4� VC woofer

Again Thanks for any helpful Xover settings suggestions

and Amp suggestions for sub , it's a tossup between xli 3500 or the macrotech 5000
  • Options
    Depending on what the subs are used for (livesound versus DJ type work) the correct power for the subs would be livesound= 1600-3200watts @ 8 ohms, DJ = 800 watts @8 ohms. The difference is a much more heavily compressed medium (Cd and MP3 audio) than live audio...

As you noted you have 1320 watts available...The BFM titans are a fair sub, that will work ok..but is not considered a professional grade speaker.. I can verify that the subs I have posted (Fane design) sound great, go deep and are inexpensive to build. Depending on the woofer you use you could build a pair for around $500...

The 3500 to the tops would be fine assuming you crossed at 100-120hz LR24

As for the damping factor and distortion, the REAL issue is power draw...the current the amp pulls form the power outlet doubles, so if you were running 8 ohms and drawing 10amps you would be drawing 20 amps with the 4 ohm load, but gaining 3dB of output (like adding another TRx18n right next to the one you have)...Don't put too much credence in the damping factor issue, and distortion won't be an issue either...
  • Options
    b00terb00ter Posts: 33
    Gadget wrote:
    Depending on what the subs are used for (livesound versus DJ type work) the correct power for the subs would be livesound= 1600-3200watts @ 8 ohms, DJ = 800 watts @8 ohms. The difference is a much more heavily compressed medium (Cd and MP3 audio) than live audio...

As you noted you have 1320 watts available...The BFM titans are a fair sub, that will work ok..but is not considered a professional grade speaker.. I can verify that the subs I have posted (Fane design) sound great, go deep and are inexpensive to build. Depending on the woofer you use you could build a pair for around $500...

The 3500 to the tops would be fine assuming you crossed at 100-120hz LR24

As for the damping factor and distortion, the REAL issue is power draw...the current the amp pulls form the power outlet doubles, so if you were running 8 ohms and drawing 10amps you would be drawing 20 amps with the 4 ohm load, but gaining 3dB of output (like adding another TRx18n right next to the one you have)...Don't put too much credence in the damping factor issue, and distortion won't be an issue either...

Just curious why you have the opinion the bfm Titan is not professional grade?
  • Options
    The PSW did a shootout and it was called a one note wonder...Other pro sound discussions, and my experience, having been a builder and my sons as well. I can compare them to my own speakers, LABsubs, Manifolds and bass reflex subs.
  • Options
    b00terb00ter Posts: 33
    Do you have a link to this shoot out comparison?

Any other designs that are DIY that compare more favorably towards "pro sound"
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The Labsub design is available on the ProSoundWeb site.
    Gadget has posted a 18" & 15" compact design in the READ ME FIRST SECTION.

DRA
  • Options
    I have looked and I cannot find any of the old shootout stuff.. but I remember them saying they were a one note wonder.. generally he specs too light woods for the cabs and under spec drivers (IMHO)...

The LABsubs are awesome, but heavy and large. The Fanes are small light and sound very good but don't go super low...