Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Extremely odd problems

TurntablistTurntablist Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hi!

I've used a PA+ in an install since three months back and I've gotten some problems recently.

One channel on the PA+ functions just fine for large lengths of time, then occasionally it gives an extremely distorted sound and sometimes it doesn't give any signal at all.. The problem occurs every third night or so. Both the mid and the tweeter (I bi-amp the tops) get the same problem at once so I'm suspecting that something is wrong with the input of the PA+ and I wouldn't be writing here if it wasn't for this other problem..

The woofer that has been connected to the system has acted extremely strange. One night it started to sound distorted, then fine, then back and forth like that until it went from distorted to nothing with more of nothing occuring the more the evening progressed. I measured the signal from the amp the day after and I got a completely fine signal, I've tried another sub on the amp and everything works well. Here's the deal. I sent the supposedly broken woofer away to repair it and they did a good test with the woofer since there was no visibly damage to it, and so far it seems to work JUST FINE?! Then what the heck was it that I heard the woofer do earlier? And why was the signal chain (I measured it) intact while the woofer wouldn't react to it(I fed the signal straight to the woofer, out of box, no response)? Sure, the subwoofer output on the PA+ might be broken, but then why did I measure the correct voltage at the end of the cable without the woofer reacting to it? And why did the other subwoofer that I tested on the amp work just fine??

Am I looking at two intermittent problems here or what is going on?!?!?! This is EXTREMELY annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Sorry, but your trouble shooting here leaves too many options... as I see it the input cable on one side could be at fault and the dbx could need help, I would try a hard reset, but note that that will wipe out the user programs on the driverack...sound like you also might have a problem with the woofer, but you didn't give enough info...

Powered subwoofer?
    subwoofer/amp?
    cabling swapped out?

Typically when trouble shooting you divide and conquer...
    split the system in half and see if the problem still exists, if not split it in half again and see if it's still a problem.. this way you don't have to try and go step by step...

More info please,,,
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.

As far as the left channel on the PA+ goes, I brought another cable to test it out, but it was in worse condition(it didn't work at all) than the cable that was installed (a brand new cable, worked well when I was there) so I ended up just switching the left and right cable to see if the problem shifts sides. So far, no reports..

It's a passive sub.
    I disconnected the cable going to the sub, measured the signal and got good signal, connected the cable to another sub and it worked, I pulled the faulty woofer out of the box and fed the signal straight to it and it didn't move, I sent the woofer away to repair it and they tested it and it works. As far as I can tell the only possible problem is the woofer, as far as the repair company can tell, the problem most certainly is NOT the woofer. Extremely odd. It's if there were a flip switch on the woofer, that's what the problem looks like.

I told the repair company to give the woofer one last hard test and then send it back to me if it works fine. When I've received it I will try to reset the PA+ and re-do everything to see if the problems go away. That's the only thing I can think of right now, what do you think?