Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

DRPA+ EV SX300 Yorkville LS808 Crown Xti4002's

LoGruvzLoGruvz Posts: 6
edited March 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hi Folks!

First time posting and need quick questions answered please. I run live sound for my band and just bought the DRPA+. May be overkill with my two Xti4002's but like the functionality at my fingertips.

I just want to run the two mains EV Sx300e's stereo left and right thru the DRPA+ to the 4002 (set at full range no DSP on I'll let the DRPA+ do it's thang). The subs I don't want to run thru the DRPA+ as I like running aux fed subs from my board - for the subs I will use bridged sub mono from the 4002 (DSP on) to one of the LS808's and daisy chain the other LS808. When setting up the wizard I went ahead and loaded the LS808's as mono but won't be plugging them in. I did not see a setting for just two mains without subs. Shows 2x3 when I finished the wizard.

1). Will this run ok for the mains without running the subs from the DRPA+?

2). Also when auto eq'ing I don't have the luxury in clubs to lay the mic on floor. My thought is to set up mic on mic stand speaker height aimed at one of the speakers 25 feet back and let it rip. Will this get me a good auto EQ? Or should I put the mic half way between the two mains?

Thanks!

A&H Mixwiz WZ3 16:2
(2) Crown XTi4002
(4) EV SX300e
(2) Yorkville LS808
DRPA+
(2) Peavey PV12M w/RX22 Monitors
QSC GX7
(1) Peavey PV115D Drum Monitor

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    LoGruvz wrote:
    Hi Folks!

When setting up the wizard I went ahead and loaded the LS808's as mono but won't be plugging them in. I did not see a setting for just two mains without subs. Shows 2x3 when I finished the wizard.Exactly. You selected a sub in the wizard. You shouldn't have. It doesn't matter. You just need to set the filter for the high output and ignore the low output. The PA+ doesn't care. If you want it to be a 2 x 2, go back in the wizard and leave the sub off.

1). Will this run ok for the mains without running the subs from the DRPA+?

2). Also when auto eq'ing I don't have the luxury in clubs to lay the mic on floor. The mic can't go on the floor, but the stand with a mic on it can? I don't follow you here. Why can't you lay the mic on the floor?My thought is to set up mic on mic stand speaker height aimed at one of the speakers 25 feet back and let it rip. Will this get me a good auto EQ? Or should I put the mic half way between the two mains?

Thanks!

A&H Mixwiz WZ3 16:2
    (2) Crown XTi4002
    (4) EV SX300e
    (2) Yorkville LS808
    DRPA+
    (2) Peavey PV12M w/RX22 Monitors
    QSC GX7
    (1) Peavey PV115D Drum Monitor
  • Thanks for the quick turnaround DRA.

1). When I put in the EV SX300 does it put a high pass filter on it? I know the spec sheet says 83hz or do I have to do it? What exactly does the DRPA+ do for preset EV SX300?

2). Usually we are on a stage above the floor and speaks are mounted on poles and there are tables on the floor in the way. I was just going to put the mic on a stand to get it to speaker lever, point it at one speaker and let it auto eq and auto volume. Didn't know if there was a better way. Some clubs have tables on the floor between FOH and stage. Problem with most clubs I don't have much time to play around I get about one shot to quickly set it all up.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    edited March 2013
    LoGruvz wrote:
    Thanks for the quick turnaround DRA.

1). When I put in the EV SX300 does it put a high pass filter on it? I know the spec sheet says 83hz or do I have to do it? What exactly does the DRPA+ do for preset EV SX300?Can't say exactly, but you have access to change the HPF (if it set one at all). One thing you need to understand... except for bi-amp data and select Harmon products the "list" in the Wizard is a marketing ploy. Most x-over points from tops to mains are VERY generic at best, and sometimes are down right WRONG. "Some intern" (probably) was given some guide lines and told to "have at it".

2). Usually we are on a stage above the floor and speaks are mounted on poles and there are tables on the floor in the way. If the table don't seem to be resonant, set a towel on the table and lay the mic on it (if one is at a useful distance). The point is to only allow one (very close) reflection hit the mic. On a stand at ear level, the mic gest direct sound and from the floor, table, ceiling, wall, etc I was just going to put the mic on a stand to get it to speaker lever, point it at one speaker and let it auto eq and auto volume. Didn't know if there was a better way. Some clubs have tables on the floor between FOH and stage. Problem with most clubs I don't have much time to play around I get about one shot to quickly set it all up.

DRA
  • Good info!

I dug around in the SX300 preset and I really can't see that anything is "preset". There was no HP filter so I set it at 85hz (specs call for 83 but it was in increments of 5) I used a LR24db slope.

I will try the towel on the table method if I can.

Thanks!
  • LoGruvzLoGruvz Posts: 6
    When I put the mic on a table on a towel how far from the speaker should it be?
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    20 to 25 feet is best...for that method, outdoors it's usually on a stand, aimed between the woofer and tweeter and 7-9 feet away...