Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

Driverack px is it essential to use the rta mic.

gino1960gino1960 Posts: 21
edited May 2013 in DriveRack PX
Hi ive been reading the board for a few days and read the 'read me first' and q and A sections.

To cut a lobg story short i bought the PX because fellow artistes advised me to get one as they say it will cleanmy sound up and protect my speakers.

I am currently using lap top,backing tracks and 2 vocals. We use 2 RCF712a's and a 400watt powered Opera DB 15 inch bin.

My point is i tried using the pre-sets couldn't find my speakers listed so used custom. But when i got to the rta mic section i could go no further as i didn't get one in my sale.

I have now given the px to a local sound engineer who sets all the driveracks for local bands.

Can it be done this way without actually having the speakers????

Sorry if this is a dumb question but i am really crap with gadgets,etc....

Cheers for any help

Comments

• Options
    I dont know if this helps like i say i'm a novice with equipment.

ACOUSTICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Frequency response: 50 Hz- 20 Khz
    Max SPL: 129 dB
    Horizontal coverage angle: 90°
    Vertical coverage angle: 60°
    Compression driver: 1.0� neo, 44 mm voice coil
    Midrange: -
    Woofer: 12� neo, 76 mm voice coil
    INPUT SECTION
    Input signal (Impedance): bal/unbal
    Input/Output connector: combo xlr-jack/xlr
    Input sensitivity: + 4 dBU
    PROCESSOR SECTION
    Crossover frequencies: 1700 Hz
    Protections: thermal, hf
    Sensitivity control: yes
    Limiter: fast limiter
    High pass: -
    Controls: flat/boost
    AMPLIFIER
    Power supply: switching 750 Watt
    High frequencies: D / 250 Watt
    Mid frequencies: -
    Low frequencies: D / 500 Watt
    Cooling: convenction/
  • Options
    I dont know if this helps like i say i'm a novice with equipment.

ACOUSTICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Frequency response: 50 Hz- 20 Khz
    Max SPL: 129 dB
    Horizontal coverage angle: 90°
    Vertical coverage angle: 60°
    Compression driver: 1.0� neo, 44 mm voice coil
    Midrange: -
    Woofer: 12� neo, 76 mm voice coil
    INPUT SECTION
    Input signal (Impedance): bal/unbal
    Input/Output connector: combo xlr-jack/xlr
    Input sensitivity: + 4 dBU
    PROCESSOR SECTION
    Crossover frequencies: 1700 Hz
    Protections: thermal, hf
    Sensitivity control: yes
    Limiter: fast limiter
    High pass: -
    Controls: flat/boost
    AMPLIFIER
    Power supply: switching 750 Watt
    High frequencies: D / 250 Watt
    Mid frequencies: -
    Low frequencies: D / 500 Watt
    Cooling: convenction/
  • Options
    This is the bin i'm using i'm wondering am i a bit bottom heavy with the bass?

Specification

Variety

Active

Power Rating

400 Watts RMS

SPL

129 dB

Dispersion

N/A

Weight

31.8 Kg

Warranty

2 Years

Dimensions

(H) 515mm x (W) 490mm x (D) 610mm

Other

Wider frequency range than most of its contemporary units. 30 Hz - 150 Hz
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    If he is familiar with the driveracks, and knows what he is doing he should do fine...My recommendation is usually BW18 filter @ the 3dB down point on the subs, 100hz LR24 for both the sub and top HPF and LPF, I don't recommend the limiter since your speakers are already limited internally.
  • Options
    wow thanks Gadget could i set it myself with your guidance.....
  • Options
    Very easily... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Brilliant Gadget we will land this baby...

Remember you will have to explain in 'idiot' mode because i'm not very good at stuff like this.

When i tried myself i set speakers to custom but got stuck when it said attach rta mic (i aint got one)

Once again thanks in advance

Gino
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    We are assuming that you bought the PX used?
  • Options
    Yes Dra i bought it off Ebay,it never came with the RTA mic,hence when i got to the stage attach mic i couldn't go any further.

I really need someone to just advise me on how to do it,ie press set up,press etc,etc....

I watched a youtube video but like i say got stuck at the mic section

Cheers for any help

Gino
  • Options
    I don't have a PX so I can't give any direct advice, but I would assume that you would either press NEXT or maybe just press the PROG button to get out of the Wizard.

As Gadget said, all you need to do is set up your High and Low filter bands. Something like... (all set CUSTOM)
    Low: 30hz BW18 - 100hz LR24
    High: 100hz LR24 - OUT (It may not even offer any choice here)

The gain settings in the x-over/filter sections should be set to -0- to start and the speakers gain knobs should set to -0- as well (normally 12 o'clock). I like to play a CD (paused) with the mixer set at what you would typically would run it at, then adjust the gain knob on the speakers until the "hiss" is at an acceptable level. On my powered speakers it happens to be 11 o'clock.

DRA
  • Options
    Cheers DRA...i have my peakers on full . However i used to have Mackie srm 450's and you set them at 12 o'clock but the RCF'S you set at full. On my desk i put my master sliders to 0 db....should i be using the compression on the px (thats if there is one)lol

Gino
  • Options
    It is generally not a good idea to use "whole system" compression, but if used it should be very minimal. If you can hear it, it is way too much. I would only set the RCF's at full if it can pass the "hiss" test.

DRA
  • Options
    Whats the hiss test ????
  • Options
    The gain settings in the x-over/filter sections should be set to -0- to start and the speakers gain knobs should set to -0- as well (normally 12 o'clock). I like to play a CD (paused) with the mixer set at what you would typically would run it at, then adjust the gain knob on the speakers until the "hiss" is at an acceptable level. On my powered speakers it happens to be 11 o'clock. I prefer silence, but hey, that just me.

DRA
  • Options
    Are you USA Gino? If so I can call you (or you can call me) and walk you through the process...otherwise let me know and I'll start typing :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Hi Gadge i'm south yorkshire the UK unfortunately.

The chap i was giving the drive rack to is not answering his phone so looks like i'm on my own with the help of you and Dra.

I will be getting it back tomorrow or sunday so plenty of time for your fingers to hurt by typing...lol

Once again i really appreciate everyones help

Gino

www.catseyesduo.co.uk
  • Options
    Ok lemme know when you get it.. do you Skype? If not consider it and we can talk.. even video if you have a Ipad or laptop w camera or camera or whatever...I also Google chrome..
  • Options
    okay...once again thanks...
  • Options
    My Skype is gary.perrett
  • Options
    Krazy BKrazy B Posts: 51
    Hi Gino,

I am new hear too but have had a PX rack about 6 months and love it. I have about 18 venues saved in the rack and am constantly getting feedback from other musicians about how impressed they are with our sound.

I have a mixture of DB tech Opera mains and fold back speakers and Wharfedale subs. All my DB Tech speakers volume knobs are set to the 3 oclock position which corresponds to the 0 setting and my Wharfedale subs are set at 12 o'clock. Your subs sound similar in spec to mine and since having the PX I have never seen my speakers peak since once and we now have a better clean and punchy sound than pre PX (was happy before but happier now) The unit is also saving me so much time when we return to the venues we have already Pinked and saved.

I don't use the compression or limiting feature normally as I let the speakers handle that unless I am mixing for some young bands just in case things get a bit crazy.

I used the auto set up for a while but now I have it I bypass that and just set my DB tech tops to 3oclock and the subs to 12 o'clock and go and have a listen for the balance and once happy I turn off one side of the PA then run the Auto EQ option C medium response for most venues to the side of the PA that is still on. Once done I just store it and turn the side turned down back on. For most venues the auto EQ is good enough as normally I am pushed for time. I may do the odd tweak manually or sometimes use the some post EQ section to filter out and low frequencies that are dirtying things up a bit. The main setting I probably adjust the most is the sub output level to get the bottom end I want with the bass control on the desk back ground music channel set to near 0 and then just re-save the preset.

A lot on here do not like the auto EQ but I find it convenient and now I have saved a default set up which I reuse the Auto eq is much quicker. If there are people present I just explain there will be as bit of noise for 30 seconds or so and they seem happy with that - but don't do it with out a warning first

My saved default AFS settings haven't let us down, so that too is saving us time but channel EQ and mike placement help here to like with any PA set up.

My advice is to get an RTA mike and set your PA some where you can have it set up with out bothering any one and get your self confident with all it can do. It is the best money I have spent in a long time and means less gear to lug around too.
  • Options
    I'm back guys.

Sorry for delay but after 2 weeks the drive rack expert has finally got round to setting my px.

I got it back last night so tonight i will try it for the first time ,i havent a clue what he's done.

Gadge if theres anyway i can go through the settings and post them on here please let me know,then you can advise on if theyre what you would have used ?

Wish me well as i'm going in blind folded tonight,i'll plug in and hope for the best.

I will report back....over and out gang

Cheers Gino
  • Options
    UPDATE!!!!

Well plugged it in last night and went for it.

Wow blown away with clarity on top end.

Impressed that the bass bin never clipped.

Disapointed that seemed to get a bit of low/mid honking feed back.

Overall well and trully impressed.

Gino
  • Options
    Were you able to isolate the source of the feedback (which mic)?

DRA
  • Options
    Dra the feedback seemed to occur when myself and my singing partner got too close together,ie both mics close,or when she passed me on stage.

Gino
  • Options
    Do you have, and are use using HPF's on the mic channels?
    Is it feeding back in the subs or the top cabs?
    What are the x-over freqs used?

DRA
  • Options
    Hi Dra yes i use the Allen and Heath zed 12fx desk and i'm using the hpf button down. The feedback was defintley coming from the top speakers.

Gino
  • Options
    Set up both mic's on stands at the level they normally are. Open up the GEQ and select the lowest freq above the x-over point... slowly increase the gain of that frequency until it starts to feedback. Make sure to note the gain when the feed back began. (Making a simple freq / gain where fb starts chart will be of use here.) Was that the problem freq? Return the gain to -0- (assuming that is where is was), then move up to the next freq and repeat the process. When you find the problem freq you have 3 choices. Sweep it out (if the ZED has a sweep that low and it does hurt the tone) on the channel, reduce the gain about equal (or -3db) to the boost amount required to cause the fb with the GEQ, or set up a PEQ centered at the freq with a med size Q (again -3db might get it).

DRA
  • Options
    Wow Dra that sounds complicated...lol

Gino

ps As i said in a previous post i'm not very technicaly gifted.
  • Options
    No. Not complicated.
    Do you have access (now) to your PX?

DRA
  • Options
    yes ive got it but have no idea what to do,hence another chap set it up for me.

As i said was very impressed with overall sound it was just that feedback that put a dampner on the sound.

Gino