Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Need suggestions for QSC KW153/181 and DRPX

PolabearPolabear Posts: 20
I'm new to this forum and appreciate the useful info here! Powered speakers and speaker management boxes are new to me but I've been doing sound off and on since 1968. We purchased 2 QSC KW181's and 2 QSC KW153's to use for local bands in small to medium venues in our area. That could mean an acoustic duet up to a 5 piece rock band that we would use this system for. Besides the QSC's, we have a new DRPX, 20 channel Mackie board, DBX 231 EQ, DBX stereo compressor, 4 two way 15" Seizmic Audio monitors with power amp rated at 800 w/ch 8 ohms/1200 w/ch 4 ohms/1600 w/ch 2 ohms. I've always relied on my ears and analog tricks in the past. I would also like to use the DRPX to EQ and catch feedback from the monitors, if possible. I am very interested in learning how to set up the DRPX to maximize the potential of the QSC speakers concerning hookups, EQ, compression and clean power output. The Mackie has stereo outs as well as a sub out also. I can see that there are several different ways I could hook this up and I've read the posts on using the calibration mic and general setup of the DRPX.

Any suggestions, guides, info or brain cell boosters will be appreciated! :D
Thanks, Polabear

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    From the wording in your post ai assume you didn't "Start Here"

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

Or maybe seen these posts?

viewforum.php?f=60
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget,

I will work my way through all of these posts and come back if I can't find what I need. Thanks for your reply and patience! Sorry for asking such a general question...
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Polabear wrote:
    I would also like to use the DRPX to EQ and catch feedback from the monitors, if possible. I am very interested in learning how to set up the DRPX to maximize the potential of the QSC speakers concerning hookups, EQ, compression and clean power output.
    Thanks, Polabear

The PX really has no functional ability to manage mains and monitors. MAYBE if they were a common make and model of speaker could you have some success. Whichever (house or monitors) gives you the most problem or needs the most improvement is the one that needs the PX.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks. I have read about using the PA+ for running both. Sounds like I should have bought the PA+ (with a lot more capabilities) rather than the PX!
  • Options
    can you return it?
  • Options
    Possibly, I'll have to check. Thanks!
  • Options
    I just called to find out if I can return the DRPX and pay the difference for the DRPA+. I can since I have had it less than 30 days. I thought I had done enough research before I bought the PX but it looks like I was a bit too eager and now I know that I can use the PA+ for the powered speakers as well as non powered ones! That will teach me to ask more questions! I wish I had gone to this forum first!
  • Options
    You are not alone.
  • Options
    I just realized that I will be returning the calibration mic also and the PA+ doesn't come with one... I could buy another one off Ebay but what would be the best suggestion for another brand at around the same price? Dayton audio or ....?
  • Options
    Yes you can use most any "measurement mic". The 153's and the companion subs don't need a lot of correction however...
  • Options
    I think the SA monitors will need a lot. As such, I would recommend put the monitors on the HI output so that you can have 3 PEQs, instead of only 2.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget and Dra! I talked to QSC support and they suggested that using the DRPA+ crossovers was indeed a good thing and to set the subs for about 76Hz and below to tighten the bass on the KW181's. The KW153's will handle everything above. What would you recommend for the bottom frequency for the 153's? Would I use the Butterworth filters at 18db per octave for the roll off?

I have not heard the SA monitors yet. They are 15's with horns and handle 400w rms each. we will purchase 4 of them. Here are some specs:
    Model #: FL-15MP (Pair)
    400 Watts RMS, 800 Watts Peak
    Woofers have an 80 oz magnet and 3" voice coils
    1.5" Titanium tweeter driver with 10 oz magnet and 1 3/8" throat
    4"x10" Horn
    Two 1/4" inputs and two Speakon inputs
    Frequency Response: 60 Hz to 20k Hz
    Crossover: 12/18 db per octave 3K Hz high power with dual glass bulb tweeter protection
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Sensitivity: 98 db
    7 Ply Birch Plywood

Any suggestions besides using the high output on the PA+ would be appreciated! We're buying 4 of these and this power amp:
    Product Code: MAGNITUDE2400
    Model Number: Magnitude 2400
    2 Channel Amplifier
    Power Handling:
    2 x 800 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms
    2 x 1260 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms
    2 x 1600 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohms
    1 x 2500 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohm Bridge
    Technical Specs
    Frequency Response: 5Hz - 50K Hz +/- 0.5dB
    THD+N: <0.05% @ 8 Ohms 1/3 PO
    Signal Noise Ratio: >102dB
    Slew Ratio: 45V/u S
    Damping Factor: >400
    Crosstalk: >65dB@ 8 Ohm 1K Hz
    Input Impedance: 20K Ohms (Balance) / 10K Ohms (Unbalance)
    Input Sensitivity: 0.8V/1.6V
    Protect:
    Overheat short circuits
    DC limit and soft start
    Smart Clip limiter Output relay control
    Operation Power Voltage: AC 110V, 50-60 Hz
    Front of Amplifier:

Channel A and B volume controls
    Power indicator
    Clip indicator
    Protection Mode indicator
    Signal indicator
    Power Switch
    Rear of Amplifier

Channel A and B signal input (XLR connector)
    Operation Mode Switch:
    Stereo
    Parallel
    Bridge
    Channel A and B power output (Speakon and binding posts)
    Ground/Lift Switch
    AC Power Cord
    Fuse
    AC input: 110V, 50-60 Hz
    Dual cooling Fan
    Dimensions: 2 Spaces / Fits standard 19" rack cases
    Weight: 36 lbs
    We decided to go with this monitor setup, not because it was the best but because we are running out of money and need a monitor system to complete our rig and these are inexpensive. Hopefully they will be good enough! Total price for this system is $1149.97 Thank you guys for all your help!
  • Options
  • Options
    Set adjacent filters to the same type, I.E. 76hz (highpass filter HPF) LR24 sub>153...76hz (lowpass LPF) LR24 153>sub. No LPF is necessary for the subs as they are built in to the subs.

Yes I am familiar with those speakers and have worked with them.
  • Options
    Update: I exchanged the DRPX yesterday for a DRPA+ and am very glad I did! I did the current firmware update and my new QSC KW153's and 181's were on the update which is cool! The mute buttons, 3 way stereo X-over and other features will be very useful as well as an improved feedback killer and Eq. I also purchased a DAYTON AUDIO EMM-6 mic for $47 since I had to turn in the DBX mic (they wanted $100 for the black DBX with the metal housing) which come with it's own unique response curve, making it more useful with other software based programs and seems to have good specs/reviews and is used by a lot of pros at venues both large and small.

Thanks for the X-over info also! You guys rock!
    Polabear :wink:
  • Options
    If actually told you this:
    DBX with the metal housing) which come with it's own unique response curve, making it more useful with other software based programs and seems to have good specs/reviews and is used by a lot of pros at venues both large and small.

They were wrong. The mic is a measurement mic, and there is nothing "special" about it. Most of the measurement mics out there use the exact same mic capsule, it's just packaged differently.
  • Options
    OK, thanks! I stand corrected. I thought the Dayton Audio mic would be the best choice for the money. It should work fine for my purposes. The DBX was $50 more!
  • Options
    Yes it will be fine. Were basically interested in flat response for the midrange, say 150hz - 2-3Khz.
  • Options
    Yes, that's right! Thanks!