Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Proper set up for JBL AM5212, PRX418S and DBX PA+ ?

drumgaildrumgail Posts: 5
edited April 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hi Everyone;
I have a set up for my church that includes the DBX PA Pro+, 2 Crown XTI 2002 amps, The House speakers are 2 JBL AM5212/00 and 2 JBL PRX418S sub woofers, my questions are: Is it more preferable to do the crossover setting in the Crown Amps or the DBX Pro+ unit? For these speakers with this equipment, what do you suggest be the crossover setting be (85 or 100 HZ)? I am looking at adding another Crown XTI 2002, one for each sub and the other one to drive the 2 JBL AM 5212, my installer originally ran it by doing the crossover in the Crown amps and only using the DBX for the RTA set up and feedback reduction, but the kick drum sound is not as tight as I would like it and we had to really do some serious eq'ing to take out the sharpness of the sound and to get the Countyman mic to not feedback, should have I just run it through the DBX and used it for crossover, filter setting. limiting and everything from the start? With this equipment, can someone tell me what is the proper setup? Thank you. ......Mark

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What is the speaker arrangement in relation to the stage and room? Be as descriptive as possible.

DRA
  • OklaPonyOklaPony Posts: 48
    Dra wrote:
    What is the speaker arrangement in relation to the stage and room? Be as descriptive as possible.

DRA
    This... and:

I'd be tempted to get an XTi4002 or 6002 for the subs then run the tops bi-amped with your existing 2002's. Between the DSP on the amps and the DRPA+ you can get pretty specific with the way you tune your system.
  • drumgaildrumgail Posts: 5
    The front cluster is about 3 feet in front of the stage and about 16 ft high, the sub's are about 30 ft apart from each other, this is only a guestimate, here is a picture of the set up, I hope it helps, thanks. ....Mark
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Does the room have any strong natural frequency problem? If the Countryman is an Omni, it will find them. If the overall system sounds good then EQing or AFSing to fix the feedback of the C'man will affect the system. You might consider inserting a 31-band on that channel.
    As far as the kick's sound... what is the current x-over configuration? Don't rule out the mic, mic placement, channel EQ, and delay issues from speaker location.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Have to agree with Pony... biamped tops would give you MUCH more control over the sound...
    Thanks, the current crossover configuration is 85 HZ, we are using the Behringer X-32 for the sound board, I will look at insert eq for the countryman, do you prefer doing the crossover in the Crown amp or the DBX, the installer just felt the Amps would be less likely to fail and that is why he did it there, but am I missing other adjustments that are critical such as bandpass gain or filter adjustments that are in the DBX PA+ set up?, JBL sent me the settings for the DBX 260 and told me to use them for the PA+. Also, when initially setting the room RTA, is it best to use a preset, I think we used "C" or just go for flat, then adjust eq afterwards? Thanks again......Mark
    You should be able to just download the preset into the Crown amps for the Bi-amp. This way you have the EXACT JBL setup for these speakers. This should give you a relatively flat response, and you can EQ afterwards to taste...
    Since I am doing the DSP settings in the Crown XTI Amps, and also putting in the crossover there, I will be using the DBX PA+ for gain structure, RTA and feedback suppression, my question is, what do I do about the crossover setting in the DBX, is there a way to bypass using it since I am doing that function in the Amps? Thanks.....Mark
    Certainly...
    go to the xover section and set the gains to -0- and the HPF and LPF to out...

OR

In the setup wizard select fullrange, and NONE for subs (if there aren't any..) use the high outs and set the LPF to out...again -0- for gain unless you need some to the ams.. which I never do as long as the input controls on the amps are @ -0-...