Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Outdoor Auto-eq setup. Does this look ok?

b00terb00ter Posts: 33
edited April 2013 in PA General Discussion
I read the posts on RTA'ing a system and decided to give outdoors a try. Like gadget, I too live in a somewhat concrete jungle as our houses are close together.

I had the speaker and mic setup like this:

3CFBE297-4DAC-444B-95AF-264EA8FD6A05-63329-00000714BDC3A652_zps914aa937.jpg

D851ACCA-C4D8-4952-BD55-7CE754F5911C-63329-00000714A46D45DF_zps4a343ea8.jpg

Mic is approx 20 feet away centred with the speaker. I was only measuring singles like it mentioned.

I set the curve to flat, and precision to high and it finished 1 pass before my jog wheel broke. With that said does this setup look like it would cause issues with the response? Behind the speaker is a concrete barrier that leads to a road with some decent traffic on it. I wasn't sure if the mic was supposed to be away from buildings a certain distance as well.

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I haven't read your post yet, only looked at the pix... not going to be usable.. the building behind the mic provides buildup that can't be processed out indoors...
  • b00terb00ter Posts: 33
    how far should the mic be from any solid objects? approx same distance as the speaker?

other than the mic issue do I look ok in terms of proximity to solid walls etc or should I just use the indoor method you posted.
    If your going to do it right reverse the two, but keep the speakers away from the building by 8' or so, then put the mic out about 6-8feet...
    Gadget wrote:
    If your going to do it right reverse the two, but keep the speakers away from the building by 8' or so, then put the mic out about 6-8feet...

Why 6-8 feet? In the posts I have read here it mentions 20-25 feet out? Or was this a typo?
    Depends on the application... in your case you get the mic out that far and you'll end up with too much boundary interaction form the tree's fence etc...
    Gotcha!

If I were to do 20-25 feet out, what sort of distances would we be talking from anything significant that would cause interaction.
    Boy, that's a hard question to answer... even trees in the distance cause slapback of HF energy.. If you can't do it in the open stay close.. there isn't really a down side top this method...