Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Measuring pink noise at point of clipping

b00terb00ter Posts: 33
Is it easy to spot? I know with an o-scope its dead easy to see when a sine wave clips, but I have never tried to look at pink noise clip until recently when trying to set up my gain structure.

One note on prosoundweb, a person mentioned its hard to see clipping of pink noise on an oscilliscope untill it is clipped hard. Has anyone here tried to do this effectively?

Reason I ask, is I want to set up my BBE DS48 in the time being, but I know it has quirks (agedhorse) reviewed it on the harmony forum and mentioned none of the meters built in were giving him a true representation of what was going on, so you would have to know whats going on in order to set the gain structure with that unit properly.

Thats when I got to reading some more articles and the one on prosoundweb mentioned pink noise and an oscilliscope but I can't find much other than that?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    If your looking for a place to edify the BBE then your on the wrong site...No one here uses it for anything other then an effect...Psycho acoustics are an effect NOT a system consideration...
  • Options
    the bbe is a crossover/limiter/peq etc like the dbx
  • Options
    Hmmm...Still a strange place to be asking about the BBE...and as far as pink noise goes there is NO reason to clip the pink noise.. we are looking to DETERMINE the clip points of the various components. We do NOT want the pink noise clipping and we address that in the "Start here" thread...
  • Options
    Hmmm...Still a strange place to be asking about the BBE...and as far as pink noise goes there is NO reason to clip the pink noise.. we are looking to DETERMINE the clip points of the various components. We do NOT want the pink noise clipping and we address that in the "Start here" thread...

BTW BBE uses distortion to create psycho acoustics.. which ain't a good deal in my opinion...
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:

BTW BBE uses distortion to create psycho acoustics.. which ain't a good deal in my opinion...

Forget about the BBE, it was just a general question about how to see pink noise clipping as I wasn't able to see any "squaring off" of the signal when I was using my o-scope.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the BBE creating psycho acoustics, unless its another piece from BBE. The DS48 I am referring to on my original post is just like the DRPA
  • Options
    Yes, but they incorporated the BBE process into them as well...If your not familiar with what the BBE sonic smashermiser does suffice it to say it goes on the assumption that (and in many ways they do) the electronics skews, delays and creates phase and sonic issues that the BBE "magically realigns"... But it's a gimmick...
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Gadget doesn't like them, if you can't tell.

To be fair, part of the process BBE uses is the SUB HARMONIC SYNTH that the DriveRack also uses (though maybe a different process).
    The BBE actually is intended to address presence issues. It senses the lack of certain frequencies and boosts them and possibly the excess of others and cuts them. Kind of a "raccoon on the knobs" effect. Very useful for acoustic guitars and soloist vocals (if needed).

DRA
  • Options
    Interesting :)

Well I got my DRPA+ back today from the service centre (dropped it off Monday night), so I'm back in business.

DBX has great customer support.