Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Two speakers per side

EvolutionEvolution Posts: 14
edited April 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hi All,
Kudos to you guys for the advice given to setup my rig last time. You really made a huge difference to what was an ordinary setup to start with, and I have been building it up since then. We get great feedback for our sound, so thanks very much. We've been to a few of other people's shows and you really can notice the difference in sound quality when comparing rigs that don't have this processor or a decent mixer in the chain. A whole lot of fuzz/ hiss and not the crystal clear vocals.
I have a couple of xti 4002 amps running four zx3's 60/60's (two per side on a speaker pole) out of a pa+ and a presonus 16.4.2. Below these I run two ev sba760's coupled and laying on their sides on the left of the stage. These used to have a twin 15 and horn cab on them and have been replaced by the zx3's.
I am going to do a flattening session in the next two weeks, am I better to just do one zx3, or have both speakers arrayed/set at the 60 degree angle with the mic straight out in front. Is there any benefit in having both the tops there for flattening? Are the responses for identical speakers exactly the same for all speakers out of the box?

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    As multiple cabs are combined, some frequencies couple and some do not. I suggest setting up one complete stack.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Evolution my friend you have SOOOO many options it's insane here! Have you updated to 1.7 on your console yet? There you will find SMAART integration and all sorts of cool new toys to work with. I have been experimenting with SMAART and the DR260 and I have to say it's an amazing combination AND you can actually take the room out of the equation using SMAART. And THAT is epic...
  • EvolutionEvolution Posts: 14
    Hey Gadget and Dra,
    I've just been going through the tutorials for Band Manager, and it's great in that I can adjust the PEQ's on a graph with the click of a mouse. That's going to make life much easier when I try to do a flattening session. More than a few PEQ's like I had last time with just the pa+.
    I've downloaded version 1.7 Gadget, there's another long learning curve in what I can do with it and for what scenarios.... A lot of the functions of the Presonus I haven't really delved into, such as recording and Smaart. It will be fun learning to get the best out of this equipment as I go. To be honest, with the old setup I found that after the speakers had been flattened that I didn't have to do a great deal of adjustment at our outside shows or at most of the indoor shows. We aren't going for ear splitting volume either, so not trying to push the gear to the max has something to do with it too I'm sure. It just seems that with the subs at the right level that it sounds great.....we constantly ask people in the crowd if they can pick anything wrong with the sound, and have had no negative feedback. When I take the Ipad out the front I might turn up the subs a smidge or turn them down a bit, thats about it. Makes life easier when you have a range of presets to choose from for male/female vocals/ guitars etc.
    So the plan this time is to use the PEQ's on the pa+ to take out any large variances in the speakers (which looks like work needed from 200-500Hz and 3k-7k in the supplied frequency response charts from EV.) Then use the PEQ's in the xti DSP to target the rest.
    I have a spare Yamaha P3200, is it really worthwile using these speakers in biamp mode? Is there a huge amount of difference in sound quality, enough to justify lugging another heavy amp around? I think that there is enough power in the two xti's to run these passive full range at two per side. What do you guys think?
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I recommend you use the SMAART on the 16.4.2 and use the PEQ's in the driverack and the board if necessary... Use the driveracks fully parametric EQ's for the broader EQ moves. The SMAART passes are not volume dependent and all you are looking for is a flat trace from 170-2K/5K area...It's very cool!