Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

K10 Kw122 kw153 kw181

nate618nate618 Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in PA General Discussion
I have Drive Rack PA, 4 K10’s , 2 Kw122’s , 2 Kw153, 6 Kw181’s
For smaller show we run 2 kw12’s over 2 kw18’s or 2 k10 over kw18’s
Larger events we run 2 kw153’s over 4 kw181’s .
If it’s a EDM show we may run 6 subs

I want to make sure I am getting the best out of my drive rack and speakers. These are the current settings I have been running
I use the HI and LOW outputs and not the MID

K10 set to full range
100 Hz HPF LR 24

Kw181 Deep mode
100hz LPF LR 24

Kw122 set to full range
100 Hz HPF LR 24

Kw181 Deep mode
100hz LPF LR 24

Kw181 Deep mode
76 hz LPF LR 24

We run the gain on the tops at 12 oclock and the subs at 1 o clock .

1) Would we benifit from having them to the max and adjusting the signal chain

2) Should I change the crossover point from 100 Hz when running the K10 or Kw122’s as tops ?

3) Would I see a benefit in bringing up the HPF on the subs to say 38-40 hz or should I just let the internal DSP take care of that at 34hz (-10db)?

4) Should there be any changes if I am running 2, 4, or 6 subs ? (We rarely ever run the Kw153's with only one set of subs due to height of the top cab and the loudness of the kw153)

5) Should I make any other changes?

thank you for your time and patience

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    We run the gain on the tops at 12 oclock and the subs at 1 o clock .

1) Would we benifit from having them to the max and adjusting the signal chainNo. You will be boosting signal that is not there, creating hiss / hum. I like to send a nominal signal from cd or mp3 player though the mixer, then paused. Adjust the speaker output gain until there is an acceptable amount of hiss. You will probably find that to be between 11 & 1 o'clock. My Yorkies are 11 to my taste, but I like silence when nothing is being reproduced.

2) Should I change the crossover point from 100 Hz when running the K10 or Kw122’s as tops ? Yes, for the K10's. 125hz as a minimum. Use the sub's response capabilities as your guide before going any higher.

3) Would I see a benefit in bringing up the HPF on the subs to say 38-40 hz or should I just let the internal DSP take care of that at 34hz (-10db)?Depends on several things. Do you need that content? You gain some power reserves and tonal control by adding a higher HPF. You are right that the box is (in theory) protecting you , but i would not think twice about putting a fail-safe at 30hz BW24.

4) Should there be any changes if I am running 2, 4, or 6 subs ? (We rarely ever run the Kw153's with only one set of subs due to height of the top cab and the loudness of the kw153)

5) Should I make any other changes?Maybe add fail=safe limiters in the PA.

DRA
  • nate618nate618 Posts: 1
    thank you DRA
    How would I set a "Fail Safe Limiter " I know that the PA does not have Brick wall limiter but I would still like it to clamp down as much as possible when needed
    Especially for EDM DJ events.
    As of right now I insert a rack compressor/limiter with a Peak Limiter activated

My current settings. For bands and Dj events.

LR
    Compressor ON
    OverEasy 2

Threshold 18db
    1.0:1 Gain 0.0 DB

High
    LIM ON OverEasy 2
    Threshold 18db

Mid
    LIM ON OverEasy 2
    Threshold 18db

Low
    LIM ON OverEasy 2
    Threshold 18db

Thank you for your time and insight.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Without doing a lot of math, that may be difficult to do without driving you speakers into hard limiting. I would not advise that. Hard to do.

DRA
    I will just keep using another limiter..

Thank you .