Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

Help with drive rack and DAP Pro PA

Raoul23Raoul23 Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hi guys this is my first post here and I'm hoping that someone here can help me out.

My band runs a full range PA it's a DAP PRO soundmate 3 here is a link http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index.ph ... ystem.html

About 6 months ago we invested in the drive rack PA. I link it up by having the bass bins coming from the low of the drive rack and the tops coming from the highs of the drive rack. As you can tell from the link above there are 4 bass bins these all link together.

I tried to run the set up wizard but my speakers are not in the list and it didn't sound very good once it was done so I decided to do it manually. From the DAP Pro manual I looked at the crossover point and the range of the speakers and dialled these in to the drive rack. Our system is very lacking in bass which I think is something to do with the crossover but I'm not 100% sure. When on the crossover page the horizontal lines that represent both the top speakers and bottom speakers they are not at the same height, I'm not sure if they should be and how to make it higher or lower.

I'm really hoping someone here can help shed some light on this and help me get the most out of my PA and drive rack

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,

Ok, lets look at the facts...

Fact one.. @ 600 watts...one sub is NOT going to make a whole lot of sound...Add one sub and you add 3dB of FREE sound pressure... with 4 subs you have +6 as long as it's 2 and 2, if you REALLY want to get the most low end bang put all 4 subs together and get 12Db of free power, smooth out the low end response and extend the low frequency response... but forget about 38hz...Ain't gonna happen.

Ok, the specs for the driverack are right in the specs provided...you need to (by the manufacturers specs) set the xover @ 180hz LR24 between the tops and the subs... set the HPF @ 145hz BW18...for the subs...

The GAIN you need for the subs is the Xover gain control (on the DRPA) set the gain of the tops at -0- and the subs @ +2.2dB
  • Raoul23Raoul23 Posts: 6
    Gadget wrote:
    Hi,

Ok, lets look at the facts...

Fact one.. @ 600 watts...one sub is NOT going to make a whole lot of sound...Add one sub and you add 3dB of FREE sound pressure... with 4 subs you have +6 as long as it's 2 and 2, if you REALLY want to get the most low end bang put all 4 subs together and get 12Db of free power, smooth out the low end response and extend the low frequency response... but forget about 38hz...Ain't gonna happen.

Ok, the specs for the driverack are right in the specs provided...you need to (by the manufacturers specs) set the xover @ 180hz LR24 between the tops and the subs... set the HPF @ 145hz BW18...for the subs...

The GAIN you need for the subs is the Xover gain control (on the DRPA) set the gain of the tops at -0- and the subs @ +2.2dB

Thanks Gadget for chiming in I'll be putting them settings in this weekend. EQ wise on the drive rack is there anything I could do to help the system. I tried running the RTA when I first got it with the DBX mic but it really didn't sound very good. Thanks so much for helping me
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    145hz BW18...for the subs".
    What Gadget meant to say... "set the HPF @ 45hz BW18...for the subs".

Dang Gadget, I think you got a smudge on your glasses. The x-over is listed as 160hz (not 180).
    Also, if he sets a matching filter on top of a on board filter, won't that screw things up? Should he send say 100 hz to the tops and 200+hz to the subs?
    Or... simplify matters (lose some control & flexibility) and use just the high outs (full range) and daisy them as the system is designed? Just thinking out loud.

DRA
    I really appreciate you guys all chiming in I've been reading this forum nearly all day gaining knowledge :-)
    I've put the settings you guys have suggested in the drive rack and the PA's now sounding better. On the input lights on the drive rack its going to about +5 hitting +10 sometimes. The threshold lights the lows are hitting 0 and the highs are hitting +5 does this seem right or should they be higher. Thank you so much for all the help so far. :D
  • pigdogpigdog Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    Has anyone else used the PX with a DAP Soundmate 3 system? Just ordered one for my system & interested to hear how you got on with it.
    Thanks
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The system has fixed x-over settings. The GEQ, feedback module, and 3 PEQ filters are the only features that will be of potential benefit to you. The Auto EQ is very over-rated. If you do not have feedback problems currently, you don't need the PX.

DRA
  • pigdogpigdog Posts: 2
    just arrived today so will report back - thanks for your reply