Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Setup for outdoor softball stadium

zingerzinger Posts: 6
edited June 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hello, My facilities manager bought a Drive Rack PA+ and speakers for our softball stadium. There is a Rolls-RM67 mixer. 4 EV ZX1i outdoor speakers mounted on the face of the stadium pressbox. They are powered by one Crown CX 302v amp. The amp is bridged and set on 70 volts. I need to know how to get this thing started using the DriveRack

zinger

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What are the coverage zones of the 4 speakers? Do any speakers require reaching a farther area than another?

DRA
  • zingerzinger Posts: 6
    Two speakers are aimed toward pitchers mound and two are aimed at the dugouts. I can adjust volume of speakers if needed by changing taps. But they are all throwing about the same distance.
    I assume that you are talking about general direction, but really are talking about covering the bleachers correct? If that is the case, I would recommend going back to a 2 channel input on the amp. Channel 1 for the 2 center speakers and channel 2 for the outer 2 speakers. Set the taps for high output and use the DRPA+ to control the volume to the 2 zones (and not have to climb a ladder). If interested, I can help you with the set-up for such a config. If you want all speakers tied together, I can help with that too.

DRA
    Bleachers and field. women's softball and hardly no fans but players want to hear walk-up music. I want some guidance as how to use this driverack as I am old school and used to using a fader type sound console,amps eq, and x-overs. I didn't see any presets for our equipment . any guidance would be appreciated.
    How are you patching in your music source? As stereo with the mixer out combined, or combined at the input and using left or right (only) output.

DRA
    they use 1/8" ipod as source and combined out as well. Usually its run by a student. I run all the major sound i.e. Arena and Football stadium. I'm just installing new speakers but want to see if I can get this driverack working. We are in the process of building a new baseball stadium and I saw one these driveracks on the spec sheet as well. I appreciate your efforts to get me going.
    So a single mono output? OK
    Literally, you could use any preset, then modify it.
    But it is really easy to set up a custom preset.

Start the Set-up Wizard.

Select Stereo EQ (not dual mono). This way you can use either input with it's corresponding outputs and the EQ will be the same.

Select speaker as "Custom" & "Passive".

Select Sub as "None", or "Without sub", or something like that.

Select amp as "Custom"

The only outputs active will be the High outputs.

If you input to DRPA Left then use the High Left output, or transversely to the right side if you chose.

Once the wizard is complete, enter the x-over module and set the HPF to the -3db low limit point of the cab with a slope of BW18.

These steps are from the original DRPA, not the +, so there may be a few differences.

DRA
    Perfect! This is the info I want. I will be giving it a shot in a few weeks over there at softball. thank you.
    If you wish you can also, zone the center speakers (zone 1) and the dugouts (zone 2), or mound and left dugout (zone 1) and mound to right dugout (zone 2) and control volumes from the driverack.

Simply select "Custom" & "Bi-amp" & no sub (uses High & Mid), or "Custom" & "Passive" & use sub (uses High & Low). Each output goes to one channel of the amp. Set each output's filters as noted above (except also raising the Mid's LPF to OUT). The levels are controlled by the Gain settings for each band.

I can advantages to the basic and also the zoned approach.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes, or if you have any more questions.

DRA