Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

Help configuring QSC kw181 and TH15a

nombersnombers Posts: 9
edited June 2013 in PA Configuration Wizard
I think I may have read too much now I'm way too shook to do anything with my PA+.

Currently I'll just be using this while DJing at clubs.

I mostly wondering what would be the best settings when I'm using my four mackie th15a and the qsc kw181. Just having a hard time jumping into all this I'm really over whelmed.

Also I have thirty days should I just return this and get a 260? I want to eventually do more live sound for bands. I did some research and seems worlds better. But would it also be good for a pretty simple DJ setup?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The DRPA+ has a superior Auto EQ, but that is the only advantage it has over a 260. If you intend to do live sound, yes, the 260 is worth it if you have the budget. At least it was for me.
    Download the driveware and also do the tutorial for the 260.
    DRA
  • nombersnombers Posts: 9
    Dra wrote:
    The DRPA+ has a superior Auto EQ, but that is the only advantage it has over a 260. If you intend to do live sound, yes, the 260 is worth it if you have the budget. At least it was for me.
    Download the driveware and also do the tutorial for the 260.
    DRA

I'm going to give it a week and try out the PA+. But I think I'm going to go with the 260. How much better is the auto eq on the pa+? Also seemed from what I read I could set crossover points and eq etc on speakers individually with the 260 is that true?

Anyways in the meantime what kind of settings do I use for my Mackie th15a's? Further more which outputs on the pa+ should I send to the th15a's (mid or hi channels)? They only have one xlr input. But I do have 4 of them and this kw181.

Also I dl the drive ware working on the tutorials.
    I'm going to give it a week and try out the PA+. But I think I'm going to go with the 260. How much better is the auto eq on the pa+? I have no experience, but Gadget says it is significant. And quick. Also seemed from what I read I could set crossover points and eq etc on speakers individually with the 260 is that true? Yes for all 6 outputs,unless in stereo mode. The DRPA is limited to 3 max.

Anyways in the meantime what kind of settings do I use for my Mackie th15a's? Further more which outputs on the pa+ should I send to the th15a's (mid or hi channels)? They only have one xlr input. I looked it up. There is an output on each cab also, so daisy-chaining is available. But I do have 4 of them and this kw181. The most basic use (assuming all 4 cabs are basically used for the same space (no need for zoned level or special EQ needs for a given pair) would be a 2x3 (stereo w/mono sub)
    Mixer L > DRPA L IN > DRPA HIGH OUT L > TH15A IN >TH15A OUT > TH15A IN
    Mixer R > DRPA R IN > DRPA HIGH OUT R > TH15A IN >TH15A OUT > TH15A IN
    DRPA LOW OUT L > KW181 IN
    Try setting the x-over point to 100hz LR24 to start. If the sub can't keep up then lower that point to 85-90, then again to 70-75, if necessary. Set the sub's high pass to 40hz.

Also I dl the drive ware working on the tutorials.??
    Awesome, thanks.

I'm doing as fallows in setup

Input Setup
    >stereo
    Graphic EQ Setup
    >I'm assuming stereo linked?
    Main Speaker
    >Custom Passive(I'm assuming this even if there powered. Becuase they arnt bi-amp speakers right?)
    Sub Speaker
    >KW181
    High Amp
    >Custom
    Low Amp
    >KW181

Then I read in the "The Driverack, Gain structure, and system setup information" to exit and make sure the xover is setup correctly.

I input the xovers mentioned on H and L but what do I set the M as?

Also curious why there is the option to change both sides of the slopes on the M and L but not the H.

Thanks for your patience, this is quite the challenge.
    Input Setup
    >stereo
    Graphic EQ Setup
    >I'm assuming stereo linked? Yes
    Main Speaker
    >Custom Passive(I'm assuming this even if there powered. Becuase they arnt bi-amp speakers right?)Well, technically they are bi-amped. But internally after the input from the DRPA. So, yes, passive.
    Sub Speaker
    >KW181
    High Amp
    >Custom
    Low Amp
    >KW181

Then I read in the "The Driverack, Gain structure, and system setup information" to exit and make sure the xover is setup correctly.

I input the xovers mentioned on H and L but what do I set the M as?The DRPA assumes (correctly) that if you have 2 speakers... one is high and one is low, not... one high and one mid, or not... one mid and one low. You will not even be offered a Mid x-over panel to view, much less adjust.

Also curious why there is the option to change both sides of the slopes on the M and L but not the H. It is an assumption that you want the high speaker to produce the full spectrum as high as it can go. It is logical unless you need to limit the upper regions of that output.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Caution, if you think the DRPA+ is a handfull the 260 will really blow your mind.. I'd suggest you stick with the DRPA...
    Dra wrote:
    Input Setup
    >stereo
    Graphic EQ Setup
    >I'm assuming stereo linked? Yes
    Main Speaker
    >Custom Passive(I'm assuming this even if there powered. Becuase they arnt bi-amp speakers right?)Well, technically they are bi-amped. But internally after the input from the DRPA. So, yes, passive.
    Sub Speaker
    >KW181
    High Amp
    >Custom
    Low Amp
    >KW181

I input the xovers mentioned on H and L but what do I set the M as?The DRPA assumes (correctly) that if you have 2 speakers... one is high and one is low, not... one high and one mid, or not... one mid and one low. You will not even be offered a Mid x-over panel to view, much less adjust.

Also curious why there is the option to change both sides of the slopes on the M and L but not the H. It is an assumption that you want the high speaker to produce the full spectrum as high as it can go. It is logical unless you need to limit the upper regions of that output.

I'm pretty sure I'm over thinking this and being overly cautious but the M is selectable in the xover section and is showing up on the screen as an additional slope. Why is that any idea?
    On the main program page (where it shows the routing and the preset name), what outputs are shown? It should only show:
    -H
    -H
    -L
    -L
    to the right of the x-over.
    Are you sure you did NOT select custom bi-amp?

DRA
    Dra wrote:
    On the main program page (where it shows the routing and the preset name), what outputs are shown? It should only show:
    -H
    -H
    -L
    -L
    to the right of the x-over.
    Are you sure you did NOT select custom bi-amp?

DRA

Well looks like I wasn't saving the savings correctly that was part of my problem, I'm an idiot. It was by default on the preset full range. Now It says custom 2X3 after the xover for the tops it says P - L - Then - LH and below that RH same for the sub P - L - ML

Now the xover is looking right.

Alright so I have the HPF at 40Hz BW 24(is that right?)

LPF is set at 100Hz LR 24. Do I just keep the second LPF options as OUT BW 6?

Thanks!
    Sub:
    HPF - 40hz BW18
    LFP - 90hz LR24 (just because you have 4-15's and only the one sub. However some experimentation is in order, but use the LR24 for every trial.)

Tops:
    HPF - 90hz LR24 (just because you have 4-15's and only the one sub. However some experimentation is in order, but use the LR24 for every trial.)
    LPF - Does the DRPA+ offer one? The DRPA does not. However, 17khz BW6 (or steeper) would not be too low.

DRA

PS - You can rename the preset to what ever you want, if you have the patience. "TH15a + KW181" or "Stereo + sub", or "Nomber's #1"

PPS - the x-over point you choose has a fault either direction to go. The lower the point the less clarity you'll have for the vocals. The higher the point will lose upper lows. (assumption)
    Dra wrote:
    Sub:
    HPF - 40hz BW18
    LFP - 90hz LR24 (just because you have 4-15's and only the one sub. However some experimentation is in order, but use the LR24 for every trial.)

Tops:
    HPF - 90hz LR24 (just because you have 4-15's and only the one sub. However some experimentation is in order, but use the LR24 for every trial.)
    LPF - Does the DRPA+ offer one? The DRPA does not. However, 17khz BW6 (or steeper) would not be too low.

DRA

PS - You can rename the preset to what ever you want, if you have the patience. "TH15a + KW181" or "Stereo + sub", or "Nomber's #1"

PPS - the x-over point you choose has a fault either direction to go. The lower the point the less clarity you'll have for the vocals. The higher the point will lose upper lows. (assumption)

How do I create 2 diffrent settings for the xovers (sub, tops)? I'm only seeing 1 set of H and 2 sets for L. I'm I missing something?
    Are you aware that there is a rebate offer for the DRPA+ purchase?

(working on a reply)

DRA
    Dra wrote:
    Are you aware that there is a rebate offer for the DRPA+ purchase?

(working on a reply)

DRA

Yeah, that was one of the reasons I picked it up. Wanted to try it out this week and make sure it did what I needed it to.
    nombers wrote:
    How do I create 2 diffrent settings for the xovers (sub, tops)? I'm only seeing 1 set of H and 2 sets for L. I'm I missing something?

If I understand the question... You are setting 2 band pass filters, not a x-over point (per say) like in an analog x-over where you simply turn a knob and set a common point between 2 bands. But a low limit for the sub and a high limit. Then a low limit for the tops and a high limit. Typically the high sub limit and the low tops limit will match, but not always.

Is that what you don't understand?

Dra
    Dra wrote:
    nombers wrote:

If I understand the question... You are setting 2 band pass filters, not a x-over point (per say) like in an analog x-over where you simply turn a knob and set a common point between 2 bands. But a low limit for the sub and a high limit. Then a low limit for the tops and a high limit. Typically the high sub limit and the low tops limit will match, but not always.

Is that what you don't understand?

Dra

Sorry, yeah I'm new to xovers and band filters. I've read countless articles and seen tons of videos and I feel like I'm only just beginning to understand it.

I think I'm at a good starting place with the filters and other xover settings. At least my speakers won't start smoking.

Thanks for your help!