Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Gain structure......again!

Digital SoundDigital Sound Posts: 5
edited July 2013 in PA General Discussion
I know this has been beat to death on this forum. But I struggle with it.

I use powered speakers. I have the following gear:
2 - EF500P tops
2 - LS801P subs
1 - driverack DRPA+
1 - Line 6 StageScape mixer.

I have had the DRPA+ for a few years and it has been very good to me. But I have never done a proper gain structure. I started once but I don't know how to deal with the powered speakers. It is EXTREMELY loud and I don't see the clip lights come on because I stop.

So anyway, I aborted, and my typical setup has me with my output lights on the DRPA+ not even moving. Just the bottom ones on. I get the odd flicker, but not much. The mixer sits around -10 on a loud night (master fader). Channel faders are about -6 (vocals, sm58).

Assuming I do all the gain structure steps except the amp/speakers, would it be correct to just set the speaker volumes to the max levels I would expect? I am at a loss as to what to do.

Also, if I did have a proper gain structure set up, and I then play a room where I want to be quiet, what is best to adjust? The main mixer fader, or the speakers/amps?

I would like to get even more out of this unit by setting it up properly.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Where are the speakers' knobs set?

DRA
  • All speakers are set at 12o'clock. I do this for no audio reason. I do it so I remember where they are every time I return to the same venue and want to use the preset I had last time. I set them at 12o'clock, and then let the DRPA+ do the "auto level" so I thought I was doing okay. But, after some reading, I am thinking maybe not.
    12:00 is in the typical acceptable range. I like to have dead air "playing" at full output on the mixer then dial the speaker levels to the point that I am happing with the amount of hiss in the system. I find that to be about 11 o'clock on my NX25P's. Obviously I can turn them down if needed.

Well the answer is quite simple. In order to get the mixer meters where you want them and to get more meter action on the DRPA+, reduce the controls on the speakers. The AFS circuit will work faster with more signal in the DRPA+, as opposed to gain at the speaker.

DRA
  • That is simple, and kind of what I expected. I imagine the AFS in the board would also work better with more signal. Gotta "hear" it to eliminate it.

Another thing I have been doing, is after I have set up my system, I reduce the levels in the crossover section on the DRPA+, so that I can increase my mixer level. Once I have the sound set up, I will reduce the High and Low by the same amount of dB each. Is that okay? Or is that affecting the ouput level/meter of the DRPA+? I can look myself I guess, but away from the gear for a bit.
    Yes. Reducing the gains of the output bands will be seen on the LED meters. AFS is pre-x-over, so... no worries there. The only concern is that you do NOT want to even get close to hitting -0- on the input meters on the DRPA+. NO DIGITAL CLIPPING! :?

DRA
  • Thanks for the information. It is appreciated.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    The powered speakers have built in NON defeatable limiters.. so you won't likely see clip lights till it's too late...