Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Sub bass phase cancellation?

AlgreeneAlgreene Posts: 9
edited July 2013 in PA General Discussion
Greetings Folks. I am new here and new to the DRPA. Bought the older unit used (cheap) to test it out. I will probably resell and upgrade soon. My question is, I set the unit up as a stereo 3 way with mono sub in my little project studio. Two full range passive speakers and a 15" sub pointed out to the band for playback and two passive studio monitors pointed toward the engineers desk with a 12" sub (no isolation). Yes, I adjusted the crossover points appropriately to get 100 hz and up out of both sets of tops. I know this particular unit is "tailored" more for live setups but in my mind, an eq, compressor, limiter, and delay can be custom set up for the purpose. It will also be taken out to do the occasional live set up. Something I've been doing for 20 plus years. My question and concern is, when playing back music through the system, the sub bass is severely lacking in mono. It sounds like phase cancellation. When I pan the music to either side the sub bass level goes up and sounds normal. I tried it with just the band speakers then just the engineers speakers with the same result. I have had this studio set up for several years with anolog gear. All I did was uplug the "rack full of gear" and plug in the DRPA. I then tried a two way stereo with mono sub setup - same result. I then tried a 2 way with stereo sub just pulling off the left side and it sounded fine. Go figure. But that is not going to do. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Then it sounds to me like one or the other cable from the mixer or the source is reverse polarity...If you think about it, if your running stereo, and one input is reverse polarity, and then you sum tthe outputs there WILL be cancellations.

There is NO way to run through the DRPA+ have stereo AND an aux fed sub, but you could run mono and an aux fed sub.

Try doing a dual mono and see what happens..