Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

setup for multiple speakers per channel

DabkrsDabkrs Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in PA Connectivity
When setting up DRPA+ if I have more than one cabinet per channel connected how do I communicate that during setup? Example: I have PV2600 with both an S115 and an SM12V connected to each channel (parallel - 4ohm load).

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    No need for the DRPA+ to "know" anything.

BUT...
    I suggest this.
    Instead of running a 15 & a 12 on an channel... run the 15's together and the 12's together. You can still pair them (group) together for set-up, but connect like this... (assuming using both left & right inputs)

DRPA Right High > Amp channel A > S115 (x2)
    DRPA Left Mid > Amp channel B > SM12V (x2)

This allows you to use the PEQs for each output to correct any response differences of the 2 cab types.
    You will set up a "Custom - Bi-amp" without sub. Set both x-over filters accordingly to get "full range from each output.

Note: Generally it is not a good idea to mix different speaker type coving the same area.

DRA
  • Options
    thanks for the response.

So, the different size cabs are not covering the same area. Our setup utilizes the 2 15" for FOH and the 2 12" are monitors (single mix). The rationale for mixing speaker sizes on each amp channel is that we prefer the same FOH mix for our monitors as well. Does this additional clarity change your DRPA+ guidance? Or any other more general guidance as well?
  • Options
    I would do this so that you can control the levels separately (easily) with the mixer for the FOH and monitors. Assuming no subs used.

For my routing, Left = FOH & Right = monitors
    Pan all channels on the board to center.
    Mixer output left > DRPA+ Left input.
    Mixer output right > DRPA+ Right input.

DRPA+ set-up: 2x4 (dual mono GEQ, custom - passive with stereo subs). You will have separate GEQs for FOH & monitors. I would think you would really want that. You will also have separate PEQ's but the monitors will only have 2, while FOH will have 3. AFS will be summed, so whichever speaker group has the most problems with feedback should be rung out first.

DRPA+ output High Left > Amp channel A > S115 (X2).
    DRPA+ output Low Right > Amp channel B > SM12V (X2).

X-over (left): This is the "H". Set the HPF to 50hz (maybe 55hz) BW18. The LPF will be out.
    X-over (right): This is the "L". Set the HPF at 70hz (or higher, for better and louder vocals) BW18. LPF at about 16khz BW12

DRA
  • Options
    Would you kindly suggest the routing/setup/settings if I were to add a powered sub (B1500D-PRO) to what we have discussed thus far?
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    I would do this so that you can control the levels separately (easily) with the mixer for the FOH and monitors. Assuming no subs used.

For my routing, Left = FOH & Right = monitors
    Pan all channels on the board to center.
    Mixer output left > DRPA+ Left input.
    Mixer output right > DRPA+ Right input.

DRPA+ set-up: 2x5 (dual mono GEQ, custom - passive with stereo subs). You will have separate GEQs for FOH & monitors. I would think you would really want that. You will also have separate PEQ's but the monitors will only have 2, while FOH will have 3. AFS will be summed, so whichever speaker group has the most problems with feedback should be rung out first.

DRPA+ output High Left > Amp channel A > S115 (X2).
    DRPA+ output Mid Right > Amp channel B > SM12V (X2).
    DRPA+ output Lo > powered sub.

X-over (left): This is the "H". Set the HPF to 100hz LR24 . The LPF will be out.
    X-over (right): This is the "M". Set the HPF at 100hz (or as low as 70hz) BW18. LPF at about 16khz BW12
    X-over (sum): This is the "L". Set the HPF at 30hz BW24 (though I would consider 40 or 45hz if it struggles to keep up) as a fail safe for the sub's internal DSP. Set the LPF at 100hz LR24

DRA
  • Options
    Dra,

just a point of clarification...since I have only a single sub..

I assume the setup would be "passive with mono sub", not "passive with stereo subs".

and,

DRPA+ output Lo>powered sub, should be... DRPA+ output Lo Left>powered sub..

Right?
  • Options
    Only if you want the low content of the monitors to go to the house sub.

DRA
  • Options
    OK..now I understand the why behind the stereo sub setting.

But, the connection must then be the Lo Left given that the Left is my FOH...correct?
  • Options
    yes