Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

Set up assistance with 2 QSC K12's only - no subs

texastitotexastito Posts: 12
edited August 2013 in DriveRack PX
I used to own the PA+, got out of the band thing, sold it - now getting back in and recently bought the PX. I thought I was familiar enough with the ease of set up to not have to visit here, but alas, here I am.

Here's my extremely simple set-up: A&H FX10 mixer, and two QSC K12's - that's it! I will be adding subs later on, but until then...

Here's what I use it for - Acoustic shows (two guitars, two vocals), and "DJ'ing" in between sets or for friend's parties.

Let me just state that BEFORE the PX, I absolutely LOVED the huge and wonderful sound the K12's put out with just the simple set up of laptop to mixer, mixer to speakers. I was hoping the PX would enhance that dramatically....nope.

I've only used the PX twice so far. The first time I set it up, I used the wizard and selected my speakers, but skipped over the RTA section (I honestly was simply pushing buttons hoping for the best), and ended up with a much fuller sound. I thought "hey, this is great!"

The 2nd time, not so much. I was at an outdoor gig, and set up the system using the wizard EXACTLY as it guided me to - RTA at every step suggested, etc. The result - absolutely NO bottom end. I mean, the entire system went lifeless and sterile. If you're familiar with the K12's, they have 2 switches that allow for normal/deep, and flat/vocal boost. I had these set to normal and flat for the set-up. After the lifeless results after set-up, switching these to deep and vocal boost helped, but not like it should.

Here's what was cut (below 0.0 db) after the set up: from 63-160hz, 400-610hz, and 1.0khz. All of these were cut -1.5 to -6.0

Please help me with getting the huge full sound out of these that I know they can produce. As I said, I was happy with the system BEFORE the PX.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What is the HPF set to on the High filter? In the 63-160hz range, increase the least cut filter back to -0- and then increase all the other filters up that same amount. For example, if 100hz was -2, take it to -0-, then increase all others up 2db. Give that a whirl. If that doesn't work, increase each in that range 1 db. Repeat until happy.

DRA
  • Options
    The HPF is set to "out". Does this mean that all frequencies should be going to the K12's?

I understand adjusting each frequency to my liking, but I thought the whole idea of this was to run it through the set-up wizard and have great results, not completely manually EQ the system myself.

IF that's the case, may as well return it. Was happy with it's own internal EQ without the PX...
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I said nothing about setting it to your liking. There has been discussion for many many years that the Auto-EQ's effective (accurate) range was very limited... like 170 - 700hz. Any cuts and boosts above and below should be suspect, The general consensus was to "halfen" those frequencies adjustments. The AutoEQ was really a gizmo / gadget that was hyped to sell units as a "fix-all". Users over the years quickly learned that it is a great tool, but not in the way it was marketed. Using it to flatten the speaker's response in open space (where the results are not affected by the nulls and standing waves that a room presents) then transferring the info to the PEQ's for permanent use, regardless of the room. Then using the GEQ manually for room treatment issues.

DRA