Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Bypassing internal crossovers

funkyblufftonefunkyblufftone Posts: 12
edited September 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hi, I have a pair of Peavey Hysis 1 RX tops, these contain a 12" woofer and a 1"compression driver I also have a pair of adlib audio AA15HL bass bins. I have just ordered a driverack+ and want to run the speakers by biamping them. I have two amplifiers and want to run one for the bass bins and the other for the (mid-high) top cabs. The subs do not contain any crossovers so I'm ok with that part of the problem. Would it work if I was to bypass the internal crossover on the Hysis 1's wiring the woofer directly to the speaker output but continue to use the crossover for the compression driver thus eliminating the need to triamp but would still give me control over the woofer? I know it would entail some soldering but I can do that. I'm really looking forward to getting my driverack and want to get the most out of the speakers is there a better way than this to go about it?
Many thanks in anticipation of your advice.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    No x-over in the sub cab is a good thing.
    Is this what you are trying to do?
    Driverack high > Amp 1 - A > 1" through internal x-over.
    Driverack mid > Amp 1 - B > 12" direct.
    Driverack Low > Amp 2 A&B > subs.

???
    That IS tri-amp.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve.

DRA
  • Options
    Hi cheers for the reply, I want to run the pa in stereo using only two amps. Years ago I ran a tri amp pa using three amps but the weight nearly killed me lol, I was thinking with a bit of rewiring I could bypass the woofer part of the internal crossover and wire this this directly to the speakers output this would give me total control over the mid going through the dbx, then use the same output on the speakers to wire the compression driver but going through the internal crossover, this will eliminate the need for a third amp.
  • Options
    No.
    Simply "unhooking" the 12 from the x-over board does not give you "control" of the 12. Well, OK it will, but only at the expense of losing control of the 1". Here is why.
    To run stereo full range it takes 2 amp channels (L & R).
    To run stereo bi-amp (1" x 12") or bi-amp (full range speaker with internal x-over, 1" x 12" in your case, and a sub), it takes 4 amp channels (L - hi, R - hi, L - lo, R - lo).
    .... tri-amp 1" x 12" x sub takes 6 amp channels (the driverack will let you do it with 5, if the sub is mono), L - hi, R - hi, L - mid, R - mid, L - lo, R - lo.
    Once the driverack divides the audio into bands, you must send that info to an amp channel (& speaker) or else it is lost forever. Even if you were to send a full range signal to the 12 and to the 1" with x-over, the 12 would duplicate the region above the 1" x-over point as high as it could go. If you remove that region with the driverack, it is also remove from the 1", so neither reproduce it.

DRA
  • Options
    Cheers for clearing that up, I think I've just about got my head around it, so based on my current setup how would you recommend to use it with the driverack?
    Thanks again
  • Options
    If you were VERY proficient at tweaking a tri-amp system you could go tri-amp in Mono, like my first response.
    Much simpler to just use the internal x-over and bi-amp with tops and subs.

DRA
  • Options
    I think i will keep it simple for now and just bi amp. Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it.
    Kind regards
    Simon