Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

L to Front of House, R to Foldback

unspecialunspecial Posts: 6
edited February 2014 in DriveRack PX
Mono front of house mix.

I play in a band and am also setting up the pa for about 150 people. I'm thinking of using three prx612 powered speakers like this.
Main out from mixer through driverrack then left channel to both front of house speakers and right channel to foldback.
This would allow me to use a separate GEQ on each channel (each area) and get a decent loud sound in the centre of the stage with the AFS. I plan on moving the rta mic while setting the auto eq for each area.
My desk also has 2 aux sends which we could use on another 2 side wedges to boost anything the musos want more of eg electronic drumkit one side keyboards the other.
We also have someone mixing out front.

Does this sound great or foolish?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    It will work as long as you are content with having the x-over point of your FOH being the HPF of the monitor. Also the AFS is not separate, so both channels will be affected the same.

DRA
  • Options
    We actually had a practise today in situ before tomorrows gig with this setup and are very happy with the sound. I thought maybe going mono would detract from the sound but this is by far the best sound I've ever experienced playing live and the pa+ has exceeded my expectations. I only used the 3 jbl 612s with the centre one on a stand pointing between two mics at the drummer. I didn't plug my keyboard amp in and it was fine. The AFS works amazingly well, even with mics pointing at the speakers on the back wall. I bought this because of a review I read which said it did a better job than any sound guy he had hired. Every thing went through the mixer except the bass and drums. Having 5 vocal mics probably picked some of these up though. Normally a lot of time is spent trying to tweak knobs on the mixer but we set everything flat and had 6 musos all happy at the same time because we could all hear everything. I'm so impressed I'll probably buy a PX just for the foldback and later an 18"sub.
  • Options
    Well the gig went well but with hindsight I'd do things differently next time.
    Using the main out meant that the main fader turned up the foldback with the front of house so would use a separate group on the desk next time (had a 1/2 and a 3/4 bus unused).
    One of the prx612m died the second time it was used so the shop gave us a loaner (a behringer). I put the foldback speaker vertical on top of a beer keg in the middle of the dance floor pointing at the drummer but the band didn't like this (a small 1 ft stage) so we put it on it's side at 45 degrees. This was done after the auto eq unfortunately and detracted from the onstage sound. One thing I got wrong on the initial practise run was setting stereo linked. For the gig I used dual mono and moved the rta mic on and off the stage for the left and right auto eq. I blame this mistake on the number of people in my ear asking me "how does this thing work" while trying to read the tiny display with my poor eyesight.
    One issue I had was with feedback and I realise now that it was probably because the AFS release was set to 5 mins. Next time I'll set it to 60mins.
    When I know how to drive this it can only get better.
  • Options
    Happy New Year to every one from down here in Oz. It has been a while since a posted.

Personally I think this is less than ideal and for me a takes away the control and independence between the FOH and Monitors.

Are you just using your PA for vocals only or are you plumbing in some instruments through too, as I would only use what you described for a vocal only set up.

When I purchased my PX rack I ended up re-using my redundant FOH graphics for my monitors. I have two aux send from my desk and I use the left Channel of the EQ going to the floor monitors at the front of the stage and the right channel goes to me for the drum fill. All of my speakers are Powered so this is an ideal set up for my situation and that allows a separate feed into the drum fill that is different to the other musicians which is different to the FOH.

I takes a little getting used to but since I got the PX and nutted it out with some confirmation from this forum, it is taking 45 minutes off of our set up times and at most shows we do a full mix. Three vocals, drum kit, Guitar and bass.

Also since we go t he PX other bands in our town are asking me to do there sound on my bands nights off as they are so impressed with the sound the PX is producing. See picture attached - sorry it's not that clear.
  • Options
    My original post was to say how pleased I was with the sound. Since then I have added a 18"sub for FOH and the crossover point is not a problem but with the addition of a second monitor the DR is now used for FOH only. So i've ordered another one for FB. The next addition will be a monitor for the drummer. Personally i wouldn't recommend using the same signal for FOH as foldback but a number of people said to do it as it simplifies things. 2 wks ago I upgraded to a 1602 Presonus desk which is a delight. :P