Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

266XL Operating Level Switch - +4 or -10?

Dj PoundDj Pound Posts: 7
Hello guys. I have a fairly simple but important question. I have a DBX 266XL compressor and I have owned it for several years now however I have somehow managed to overlook the Operating Level Switchs on the back of the machine. What setting is reccomended for the best possible sound +4dBu or -10dBV?

Thanks for your time

:):)

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If using in the signal path between two +4 devices, then +4. This will usually be a balance connection. If you are putting it in the path, say between a guitar and amp then -10.

XLR or TRS connections = +4 (typically).
    TS or RCA = can be either.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    If using in the signal path between two +4 devices, then +4. This will usually be a balance connection. If you are putting it in the path, say between a guitar and amp then -10.

XLR or TRS connections = +4 (typically).
    TS or RCA = can be either.

DRA

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Just to further clarify, +4 is considered professional level and is used in most pro mixers, Pro processors and even instrument amps that were made in the last few years.. older equipment may or may not have this, but if it's a balanced XLR in/out, it's likely +4...

-10 is usually associated with consumer level gear. There are usually impedance factors when looking at these two standards as well, that can affect the performance of the connections. That is why connecting a bunch of outboard gear is often accompanied with all manner of sonic changes.. usually not good...
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    That is why connecting a bunch of outboard gear is often accompanied with all manner of sonic changes.. usually not good...

Insert plug for your Presonus digital mixer here.---> :mrgreen:

DRA
  • Options
    YA... awesome stuff... the New Ai stuff is coming out and should be a real game changer...Oh and David, if you want me to chime in you still have my email right?
  • Options
    8)
  • Options
    good...