Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

PA+ 'manual'

charlesjenkinsoncharlesjenkinson Posts: 5
edited October 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hello,

This is my first post. :) I hope I've read enough in the Start here and FAQ's to not get a scolding with my query. The basic gist is that I'm building a 'custom' PA and bought a PA+ some 11 months ago - it was a good deal here in the UK (I'm Manchester based), with free RTA mic bundled in. Ever since I read the manual and started researching the PA+'s use, quite a bit of that here, I've hit upon the inadequacy of the user manual, ...time and time again. BUT, I'm getting to the point where I have to use the PA+, so it's time to get to grips. Anyway, I turned it on last night, and pressed buttons, and got stuck in the Utility section. I was on the following page:

The screen said:

Button/Encoder Test
<UTILITY> To Start. Or <UTILITY> To End (the Utility button toggles between these 2 options, and at the bottom of the screen it says:)
UTIL 14

I had difficulty getting out of this section, but in the end managed it before taking the action of just turning the unit off and back on again. However, there were lots of other screens in the Utility section that are simply just not listed or described in the manual. I am sort of of the opinion that it is not satisfactory to have a manual that doesn't describe all functionalities of the equipment, even if they are factory setting routines. I am basically taunted by the thought of 'should I have gone Behringer DEQ/DCX?' and send this back to where I bought it from. So, as an aid to getting things straight, I came up with the following table, which seems (to me at least) a sensible layout and format (up for negotiation!) upon which manuals-tables could be based - in this case, it addresses the Utility menu / sub menu's. What do people think, and how easy would it be to populate these types of table, given the type of information one needs to know, i.e. inside information, as far as I can see, regarding specifically Utilities....?

Many thanks & regards,

Charles

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If you are savvy enough to figure out how to do what I think you are wanting to do, you should not have trouble navigating the DRPA+. Seriously, once you get used to it, it is second nature.

DRA
  • Thanks Dra. :-)

So, say I manage to map the structure of the utilities section, would I also be able to figure out what all the pages are for, or is that intent only obvious to the equipment designers? Thanks,

Charles
    You do realize that you are not dealing with DBX tech support, right? Just a bunch of product users.

DRA
  • Well, yes and no...

Yes, because I've read it here before that the forum is a non-DBX entity,

and no, because the forum is referred to on, and linked to from the DBX website, ...and lately my application to the forum was authorised by someone with a Harman email address.

What I'm hearing from you is that the relationship between the forum and DBX is sufficiently distinct that I should be addressing my query in the DBX tech support direction...?

Anyway, thank you for your kind help - I felt it was worth exploring the less 'formal' angle first.

Best,

Charles
    :)
  • What is mildly amusing is how it appears that the best that can be done is 'just keep pressing buttons till you figure it out'. It's not exactly the due diligence required. The predicament is of course that if one enquires of tech support and the off-handedness carries on right up to the top, then the darkness everyone is in must be by design and intent.

Regards,

Charles