Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Requesting Input On What/How Many To Purchase

SharpshooterSharpshooter Posts: 12
edited October 2013 in PA General Discussion
Hello,

What a great forum. I've been lurking for over a year now trying to get a handle on all the products available to enhance our sound. We're a six piece southern rock band that plays in small local venues around the area we live. Nothing fancy but we have fun.

Our gear (run in mono):

2 x Crown XLS 802
2 x Crown XTI 4002
2 x JBL PRX 415M used for FOH
2 x JBL MRX 518S subs
4 x JBL JRX112M monitors
1 x Mackie 1604VLZ3 mixer

The XTI's are used to power the PRX's and the MRX's. The XLS's power the monitors.
We're in a position to add to the mix and want to pursue the DRPA+ because of its' abilities.
What we don't know is how many we need. Reading the FAQs and the forums, we're thinking two....one for the monitors and one for FOH.
May we have your input on our thinking and, if you agree, possibly some suggestions on how to set them/it up........don't have a great handle on the concepts such as 2 x 6, 2 x 4, 3 x 6 yet but will explore more in depth at such time you provide input....still want to run mono.
If you have any other options or suggestions on how to proceed with the configuration, we'd be appreciative of your input as we're ready to pull the trigger.

Thanks for reading and many thanks for your input.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Do not buy 2!
    Get a DR260 for less money. Go to the training section and do the driveware tutorial for the 260.

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    Do not buy 2!
    Get a DR260 for less money. Go to the training section and do the driveware tutorial for the 260.

DRA

Thank you for the fast feedback. Did the driveware tutorial for the DR260.........great info......love the software.

Excuse my limited knowledge (Sharp learning curve as per Gadget), but I'm having trouble seeing how I can use 4 amps on this or the DRPA+? Looking at the FAQ topic labeled "Subs, tops and a monitor feed, all on the DRPA/DRPA+" I see a total of 3 amps. Does this mean I'd have to use a "Y" splitter to connect both XLS 802's (XTI's have a line out, XLS doesn't) to run the four monitors?....That's my supposition. I'm also assuming the FAQ mentioned would relate to the DR260?

The 260 seems to be the better way to go due to the extra features and the software GUI.

Thanks for addressing my newbie questions.
    Mackie FOH out > DR260 A (in) > DR260 output 1 (highs) > XTi > PRX.
    > DR260 output 2 (lows) > XTi > MRX.
    Mackie monitor out > DR260 B (in) > DR260 outputs 3,4,5,6 > XLS > JRX.

Did you down load the software? If not, do. Play with it. You can experiment with set-ups, even when not connected.

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    Mackie FOH out > DR260 A (in) > DR260 output 1 (highs) > XTi > PRX.
    > DR260 output 2 (lows) > XTi > MRX.
    Mackie monitor out > DR260 B (in) > DR260 outputs 3,4,5,6 > XLS > JRX.

Did you down load the software? If not, do. Play with it. You can experiment with set-ups, even when not connected.

DRA

Thanks Dra,

Yes I've downloaded the software..........will work with it over the weekend.

And thanks for giving me your input on how to connect the DR260 for our needs.

Will be back with the outcome once we purchase the DR260 and incorporate it with our equipment.
    FYI - if your XLS amps had pass-thru capability you would only need one of the 3-6 outputs. However, using the 4 like that add a little more control if you have one monitor feeding back at a certain frequency. You have 4 PEQs to tweak each one, if needed. You can link 4 outputs to one filter, or have each output with it own filter. This is beneficial for cutting more low frequencies from the lead vocals monitor, but give more lows for the bassist and drummer. FYI, Full Compass and Northern Light & Sound usually have the best prices. Last I checked, under $750 (shipped). You have to call to get the best price.

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    FYI - if your XLS amps had pass-thru capability you would only need one of the 3-6 outputs. However, using the 4 like that add a little more control if you have one monitor feeding back at a certain frequency. You have 4 PEQs to tweak each one, if needed. You can link 4 outputs to one filter, or have each output with it own filter. This is beneficial for cutting more low frequencies from the lead vocals monitor, but give more lows for the bassist and drummer. FYI, Full Compass and Northern Light & Sound usually have the best prices. Last I checked, under $750 (shipped). You have to call to get the best price.

DRA

Dra, Thanks for the input above. One last question before I buy, please.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used DRPA+ and a DR260 for approx. $100 US more than a new DR260 from Northern Sound & Light. The items are in great shape and the seller is willing to accept returns within 30 days if the units aren't to my expectations.

Would this be the ideal way to go or am I spending my money unnecessarily for equipment I really don't need?

I'll purchase based on your input.
    If you mean Ebay. I have bought 2 DRPAs on Ebay and have no complaints. Just make sure they are rated well.
    Do you have a purpose for the DRPA+?

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    If you mean Ebay. I have bought 2 DRPAs on Ebay and have no complaints. Just make sure they are rated well.
    Do you have a purpose for the DRPA+?
    DRA

The units are owned by another band within the area that has broken up and are selling most of their equipment.

My thoughts are to run the FOH thru the DR260 and the Monitors thru the DRPA+ giving us the ability to run stereo at some point in time. But due to my very limited experience with the DRPA+ and the DR260, I don't know if it's overkill or not. That is why I asked whether or not it could be useful for us or a waste of money that could be saved for some other equipment purchase at a later date.
    It is never over kill if you have a need and put it to use.
    I have a 260 and 3) DRPAs. I sometimes use a DRPA as an inserted channel processor.
    DRA
  • Dra,

Thanks for your guidance. We'll most likely go with both due to the value we'll receive and the fact that the seller is close by.

I'll review the training session on the DR260 and mess with Driveware this weekend.

As questions arise when we incorporate them in the mix, I'll start another post in the appropriate forum.

Great group here!