Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Newbie question on 2x4, 1x3, or 1x2 (stero or mono)

BroadwayBroadway Posts: 14
I am brand new to this level of audio engineering and my knowledge had stopped with my analog PA that I used to gig with mid 90s. Though I have tons of questions, I will try to keep them as specific as possible to the DBX since this is the forum I am in. I am using the DBX 260 and have four Crown CTS 600 amps . There is a three speaker high/mid cluster located about 25 feet above the floor at the front of the auditorium right at the front of the stage. One Crown amp goes to the center speaker and one amp goes to the L/R cluster speakers. There is a sub on the left and right of the stage on the floor. One amp goes to both subs. Finally, the last amp goes to the monitors.
The current DBX260 setup is 2x4. Stereo from the console (Yamaha LSR), to L/R high, and L/R Low. Since there is only one high/mid cluster, why do you all think the setup is coming stereo from the console? Would it be better or easier to set up going mono from the console, to mono to the cluster, to stereo to the subs (1x3 I assume)? Or straight mono to all and use 1x2?

I started working with this system and unfortunately do not have the historical knoweldge providing the "why" behind it all. I just looking to optimize and simplify where possible.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Are you using the interface (GUI) to control / monitor?
    If you are, look at the main screen. Look at the headings.... IN EQ INS INS etc
    Look at the RTE heading. Below it you may see...
    ST
    A
    B
    A+B.
    If one says A+B, look and see what that output is named. Look at the other output names as well.
    Also check how many cable are exiting the 260 to the amps. If there are 5, that is another clue.

My suspicion is that they what a stereo image, but could not get full coverage to the room, so the left is left, the right is right, and the center in combined left & right.

DRA
  • Options
    I'll look at the headings this weekend. In the meantime, I am confused when you say "the left is left, the right is right, and the center in combined left & right". I thought 2x4 (which is the configuration now) is stereo in from mixer, to LH and RH, and LL and RL?

>L High
    --from mixer-->DBX
    >R High

--from mixer-->DBX
    >L Low
    >R Low

Since the L/R highs are a single three speaker cluster, why run stereo from the mixer and why not 1x3 or 1x2 at the DBX?
  • Options
    The 260 has 6 outputs. A 2 x 4 set-up uses 4 of them. One of the other 2 (or both) can be configured to also be left or right outputs, filtered however you like. Or they can be combined into a mono (summed) output. You can download the GUI and set it up and see.

DRA
  • Options
    So the real question becomes, since I have 4 outputs running to four crown CTS600s, does going from 2x4 to a 1x3 or 1x2 simplify anything or would it be more work to get back to where I am now?
  • Options
    The 260 allows you to do pretty much what you want. If the set-up meets your needs, that is what you should do.
    I really can't address the reason for why it is set up the way it is. One way is simpler, but maybe not as much control.

DRA