Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

No mic level on rta microphone

friendlydj1friendlydj1 Posts: 3
edited February 2014 in PA General Discussion
Using the Setup Wizard to configure my speakers. When I am prompted to insert the rta mic in for load balancing the pink noise is detected but never prompts me to "Set for performance level" as it has in the past. I even turn it up to the point that I see the clip message but still it never allows me to set the level. I've tried a different RTA mic and several cables all with the same result; therefore I can't use the AFS, load balancing or Auto EQ functions.

Has anyone else experienced this and come up with or have been given a solution? Thank you for your help in advance.

Take Care,
John Haskins
Friendly Neighborhood DJ

Comments

• Options
    Hey friendlydj1, you may want to try performing a hard reset on your DriveRack. Press and hold STORE while powering up the unit. Wait for the display to read, "HARD RESET?" Release the STORE button, and press PREV PG button to reset the device.

This will reset all user presets. It is also worth noting that the RTA mic is not required to run the AFS wizard.

Have a great day!
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If you have important setting write them down or save to your computer first. It will be lost.
    DRA
  • Options
    Tried the hard reset which unfortunately did not resolve my issues; still cannot "Set To Performance Level"...any other suggestions?
  • Options
    I was having this issue as well. I found this thread on the forum: http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2109 and did the voltage/current measurements DRA suggested. It turns out that the mic cable was causing an issue -- the voltage measured at the pins of the PA+ RTA mic input was ~14V, but with the mic cable connected (no mic, just cable) the voltage was ~9 V (and DRA says the spec range is 9-52V, so that seems to explain why the mic doesn't work). I tried another mic cable with the same result. Then I tried a DMX cable that I had lying around and voila, the voltage was correct and the mic worked! I'm not up on the details of what the diff is between a mic cable and a DMX cable, but several posts on the internets tell that they have different impedence characteristics, so I assume that the PA+ is finicky about the cable impedence (and is likely underpowering the microphone).

tl;dr; Could be your mic cable, try a DMX cable.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The phantom voltage specs at 15v. Odd that the cable would dump 5v (from 14v to 9v). Was it VERY long? Are these quality cables? Old maybe? Oxidation on the pins or sockets? Beer?

DRA
  • Options
    No, brand new 6' mic cables. Resistance measures 0 ohms with an ohmmeter.