Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

Driverack PA+ AFS Question

Tom99Tom99 Posts: 18
edited January 2014 in PA Connectivity
Hello,
When I use the AFS function on the DRPA+ (two open mics with monitors), is it possible to use a couple of Fixed filters on Speech to catch the biggest feedback 'offenders', and then change it to Music Low for a couple, then change up to Music High for a couple? That way I know that the frequencies with the worst feedback frequencies will be caught first. I just don't know if it is possible to change from Speech to Low to High settings in the middle of doing this? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes you can. It has been discussed and explained many times. Use the search function. I would suggest "music high" "music hi" "AFS" etc

DRA
  • Tom99Tom99 Posts: 18
    Thank you, I have now done some searching. So I think leaving the AFS on Speech after I have set six fixed filters would be a good idea, so the feedback, if any, would be caught quickly?

May I ask one more question please. It is always just me sitting at the piano with a mic, and a singer who stands a few feet away or sits on a stool nearby. We hardly move (piano bar sort of style and songs). What is puzzling me is the AFS Live Filter Lift. I have always set the AFS so that once the feedback is caught then it is not lifted. Surely if there is feedback and the filter is lifted after a few seconds, then that feedback frequency would occur again? Could you explain more about the Lift facility please and let me know what I should be doing please as this is confusing. Thank you again - I LOVE this site and appreciate your help.
    Yes, I prefer Speech on Live filters.

The Lift is for changing environments (mic technique, orientation / axis / elevation of mic to speaker / monitor, even room temp and humidity).
    If you believe that a recurring frequency is returning after a lift and release, then you should increase the number fixed filters by one or two and get rid of it once and for all.

DRA
    Thank you. After setting, say, 6 fixed and six live filters, if there is a problem with feedback in the show that still occurs after a lift, can I add another fixed filter without going through the whole AFS setup again from scratch? In other words, I can keep the fixed filters I already have?
    Thank you again.
    The problem with that, is that you want to set fixed filters on a live mic with no input. In other words, any input... vocal, instr., or trax... would latch if it is above the threshold. The point is to set enough fixed filters during set-up and sound check that you have to have the mics WAY hotter than you would ever perform at, with no feedback. Then the live (with lift ON) can be for emergencies only. I am not 100% sure if you can change the # after. I do know this. If you set, say, 9 fixed / 3 live, and let only 6 fixed latch, then switch to live, the fixed filter 7-9 will not latch (because you are in live mode). If you select 8 fixed / 4 live, and fill all fixed filters... the live filters will never latch (because you are not in live mode). If you set up 6 / 6, and go to live mode immediately, no fixed will latch.... only live will. And if they are set to lift after 5 secs, then you will be fighting those all night.

DRA
    Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense.