Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Considering DriveRack PX

tlomarotlomaro Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in PA General Discussion
I am considering purchasing the DriveRack PX and have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer. I have Behringer X1832USB Mixer to Behringer 1502 EQ to 2-EV ZLX15P speakers. First, since these speakers are not one of the default speaker selections for the PX, I would have to use the Custom setting. What is the benefit of these settings beyond crossover points? As I don't have Subs (yet), what other aspects of these settings are unique to the speakers themselves? Second, is "pinking the room" the only way to set the Auto-EQ? Not usually setting up in empty establishments so not sure how accepting people will be to hear pink noise during our setups. We usually do simple vocal checks as we don't generally mic up all instruments. Would the PX be overkill for a mostly vocal mix? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Since you are just using a couple of full-range speakers, the crossover function on the px isn't of much use. Go with a custom full-range setting and don't worry about it.

You can auto-EQ the room or you can auto-eq the speakers. dra and gadget have several tutorials available on auto-eq'ing the speakers rather than the room. This plus your ears will likely be your best bet for venues where you don't have the "space/time" to use auto-eq.

The manual only talks about EQing the room. If you can't get an empty room with a low noise floor, the auto-eq is fairly useless. The auto-eq function is fairly un-intelligent in nature. It does it's best but won't account for ambient noise or true modes. In theory, you can outsmart the auto-eq by going back in and boosting in those frequencies that may have been cut due to ambient noise. However, this requires time and either a very good ear or other, external measuring equipment. And of course, if you had those - you probably wouldn't need to use the px to auto-eq the room.

Good luck.