Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Need help deciding on PA+

LayaTaalLayaTaal Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in PA General Discussion
Hi,

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I am having trouble finding a specific answer to my question.

I work with a music school and we put on house concerts, student recitals, and some professional concerts throughout the year. This is a classical music with only acoustic instruments.

I have enjoyed learning about sound management for our shows and usually try to do it myself when we do the smaller performances.

Right now what I have been using is an Allen & Heath Zed 14 mixer > 2 Behringer Eurolive B215D powered speakers. I would like to improve the sound so I have been looking into buying an equalizer and I came across the driverack pa+.

My questions are,

1. Am I heading in the right direction to improve the sound?
2. If we only have these two speakers and not different speakers dedicated for lows, mids, highs, will this be useable and useful for us?
3. If this is not the right route for what I am trying to achieve, can you all give any advice to me?

Thank you for the help!

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If you have the budget check out the 260. Computer controlled GEQ is much easier to make quick adjustments. The next step would be the new PA2 that has Ipad / tablet control. The PA+ is still a very good unit, just very hands on to make adjustments. You won't go wrong with any of them.

DRA
  • Options
    LayaTaalLayaTaal Posts: 3
    Yeah I have seen the 260 as well, just not sure it is worth getting for our use or not.

Since I only have the two speakers, how would the output from one of these units work? Is there any difference in the low,mid,high outputs or is that just to allow different control of each range?

Thanks much!
  • Options
    You will use the high outputs.

DRa
  • Options
    I've seen a driverack px make significant improvements to the output on those speakers (in an admittedly non-optimized dance studio)...

For your setup, I'd be tempted to just go with the now-"inexpensive" px. If you are going to be making a lot of adjustments on the fly - then a computer control system like in the 260 or the PA2 is preferred (as stated by Dra). I don't really think the PA+ gets you much over the px for a simple 2 speaker setup.
  • Options
    If you are going to rely on the Auto-EQ function (a lot) go for the PA+. There is a significant improvement in quality and required time to perform. Else, for the simple reason of ease of adjustment, I might consider a standard EQ.
    Of course, you won't have the High Pass filter or the PEQs.

DRA
  • Options
    PearlproPearlpro Posts: 12
    Since your system is FULLRANGE meaning each speaker represents the full spectrum of Bass, Mids and Highs in ONE cabinet. You would use the DRPA as a systems processor to control MAIN EQ and possibly some Feedback filtering, Maybe some Subharmonic Boost for better bass, most of the other features except the AUTO EQ wont do you much good, dont overcomplicate your system if you dont need or understand this, I suggest you find a DBX dealer and explain your system and have them walk you through one.....you may be better served buying a 1/3 Octave DBX DUAL EQ and using that to adjust your room EQ, If this sytem is simply used for Speech or med level music playback, you dont have a good knowledegble operator you might be biting off more then you need.

If your willing to be shown and taught how it works, why to use it and what it can do AND IT WILL make your system better the 260 or DRPA + maybe what you need, I suggest you watch the YOUTUBE VIdeos on the DRPA products and why and how they work....

Find a local dealer and call make an appointment and explain what you want, theyll take the time to show your the product.
  • Options
    PearlproPearlpro Posts: 12
    Look into this also, its designed for POWERED SPEAKERS and it has your Behringer speakers in the built in tuning list...

http://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/driverack-px

This would be very easy to incorporate into your setup and give you some great features.