Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

PX with digital board and snake

cpspooncpspoon Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in PA General Discussion
I just purchased a PX. I bought it primarily for the RTA and setup features but may have made a mistake. I have the following as main PA:

Soundcraft Expression SI2
Soundcraft mini stage box
4-qsc KW 181 subs
4-qsc k12's

The interface between the board and and stage box is nothing more than glorified Cat-5 cable. I had planned on using the PX as an insert on the mono main output but now that I get it and am reading about how to hook it up and set it up I don't see that working. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If by RTA, you mean the Auto-EQ function... then you did make a mistake. That function can do more damage than good. But, to use the PX the mixer would have to have inserts on the mains.

DRA
  • Options
    cpspooncpspoon Posts: 3
    The mixer does have inserts on the mains. If I use mono input do I get full range out of the left output on the PX. I guess I would have to tell the PX that I have no subs to get that?
  • Options
    I have never used a PX, but whether you use (or tell the PX to have) a sub, the main outs are still 100% usable. The x-over filter (HPF) can still be set to what ever you want. For that matter the main outs and sub outs can be set to all run full range.

DRA
  • Options
    PearlproPearlpro Posts: 12
    Connect the PX on the MAIN L/R out and then follow the setup wizards...the PX has the built in presets for the QSC products, should be simple matter of running the wizard following the directions, entering the speaker models...and youll need the DBX RTA microphone...and youll have the nice RTA feature...

A digital snake uses the CAT5e cable to run the outboard stage box, and yes its a small cable, and subject to being destroyed if you let people drag carts and such over it...many companys make a ruggedized version with a thick jacket, but I would always have a backup plan....
  • Options
    SoapmSoapm Posts: 20
    Dra wrote:
    If by RTA, you mean the Auto-EQ function... then you did make a mistake.

DRA

Sorry to ask in another person's thread but since this is on topic, are you saying not to use the Auto-EQ? Why if that's what you're saying? I kind of thought that's why you bought this as opposed to just a feedback destroyer.
  • Options
    I'm saying that if you buy the DRPX or even the original DRPA just because is has an Auto EQ function ("because that will may you have the best sound in the world"), then it is a mistake. The effectiveness of the function is minimal at best and actually hurts the quality of your sound if used as instructed. It was determined by users on the old driverack forum that after running the auto EQ (inside a room), that only the frequency bands between 160 & 700 hz were accurately adjusted. All others were off as much as double their boost or cut. The Auto EQ is, however, effective for system set-up to achieve a baseline set-up to correct speaker response problems (outdoor method) to then assign to the PEQs. Using to correct a room's response... very ineffective. The GEQ is quite good when used manually.

DRA