Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Driverack PA2 Mackie sub SRS1500 vs SRA1501 & JBL 712PRX

tunaman4u2tunaman4u2 Posts: 13
edited March 2015 in PA General Discussion
Getting my PA2 tomorrow! :lol: Pumped!!

I looked through the subwoofer list & I noticed theres the Mackie SRA1501 but not the Mackie SRS1500 which we have 2 of.

When you compare the very old now SRS1500 vs the SRA1501 the differences are relatively minimal... almost the same freq response graph, SPLs, woofer, box etc.... so

Can I use the Mackie SRA1501 setting for my SRS1500 subs?

1500 manual
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/archive/srs1500_om.pdf
1501 manual
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/swa1501_om.pdf

My mains are the new JBL PRX712... I didn't see those on the list, only the PRX612s. I imagine these will be added by firmware later... Should I use the PRX612 or Not listed for these?

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    It should work fine to use them or select custom. Either way, check the x-over points to make sure you are happy. Something near 100hz LR24 would be appropriate.

DRA
  • PearlproPearlpro Posts: 12
    All of these "settings" that they use for Factory settings are generally a starting point, youll learn that from Room to Room or Venue to Venue youll find a little tweak here, a little tweak there will yield the best results. Check your Crossover points, what the factory recommends you use such as L/R, Bessel or Butterworth, set your xover points, and use the WIZARDS/AUTO functions to get you close, then apply your own twists and Store them with names or venue names etc...
  • tunaman4u2tunaman4u2 Posts: 13
    Thanks guys. I get to play with it tonight

When I chose my speakers JBL PRX612 & Mackie 1501 it gives me a dial for gain up only 23% for the mains & around 32% for the subs. Not sure why that is but nothing was connected to it at the time. Full set up tonight for an informal motorcycle gathering where I can tweak all night.
  • Still loving my PA2

One of my SRS1500 subs is on the fritz so I'm looking at the 718XLF or the new SRX818SP, just one

We run our mains stereo for the keyboards... so with one sub I have to still use the PA2 regardless

The 718xlf automatically crosses at 90hz. I'd imagine I'd tease my 712PRX tops down to 100hz LR 24 if the kick drum doesn't blast the hell outta them.

The SRX has a much better range on the limited specs they give with performance up to 120hz so I imagine I'd cross there with those which would take some kick out of the mains (A problem we had in the past). I have to guess that the cross will be variable with the controllable DSP of the SRX line.

I'm leaning SRX personally. We play medium sized clubs. The 2 SRS1500s were enough & I'd imagine one SRX is at least equal to those 2. Should be able to get away with one of those. I really wish the PRX had some improved performance past 90hz

BTW. Did the new PA2 updates recently add the 700 PRX line?
    The specs of the PRX718XLF state a x-over of 100hz. My personal choice for 12's anyway.

DRa
  • Dra wrote:
    The specs of the PRX718XLF state a x-over of 100hz. My personal choice for 12's anyway.

DRa

Theres the spec sheet that says 100hz & the Manual that says 90 hz with a 48 db slope

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachment ... XLF_v5.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/port ... OtP7nzF-rZ

Anybody with a JBL in know which one is right?
    Both of the documents you sent say 100hz, or did I miss something.

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    Both of the documents you sent say 100hz, or did I miss something.

DRA

Yeah, if you click on the users guide for the 700 series 90hz with a 48db slope is in the specs. That could have been an oversight moving from the 600 series
    Yes, you have a point there. A 120hz 24 slope filter to the mating top cabs from the sub. I would deduce that a 100hz 48 slope would work better with 120hz 24 slope and a 90hz 48 slope. But, you should CALL & TALK to tech support. They are very helpful. (at least DBX is, can't offer info for JBL). You might also try posting to the PSW forum.

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    Yes, you have a point there. A 120hz 24 slope filter to the mating top cabs from the sub. I would deduce that a 100hz 48 slope would work better with 120hz 24 slope and a 90hz 48 slope. But, you should CALL & TALK to tech support. They are very helpful. (at least DBX is, can't offer info for JBL). You might also try posting to the PSW forum.

DRA

The JBLs running at 100hz with the 48hz slope makes me want to move the crossover with the PA2 down to 110hz 24LR on the 712PRXs. I feel comfortable running my setup like that if the SRX subs aren't a go.

I've ruled out a bunch of other subs. My rep at RMCaudioDirect is getting his info on that sub today, fingers crossed!
  • Called JBL tech yesterday & he felt that the SRX 818sp sub will be a pretty huge upgrade. The DSP will be killer, the bigger box but not that much more weight, a significantly better woofer.

So I'm waiting for it!

Next gig I'll be rearranging our rack & getting the PA2 to control our mains & subs again vs just doing the kickdrum sub thing

I'm going to bring it home to update it & see what the new firmware changes. My main peeve was locking the crossover & I think thats been removed. Since I'll still be using the SRS 1500 with the 712 PRX tops I'm planning on a 120 crossover with LR 24 on both... a 40 hz high pass on the sub. I'll probably notch the 120hz 31 band EQ down about 3 db just to make sure they dont sum at the cross point.
    FYI - The knee of the filter is not at the x-over frequency. The x-over point will be on down the slope so that the 2 reduced 120hzs sum to flat (-0-). If you do get a bump, don't use the EQ (that adds phase shift), just give yourself a separation of a couple of hz (3-7 maybe). That same technique can help tame a speaker that is resonant near the x-over point. That way you save a parametric or GEQ for another problem area.

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    FYI - The knee of the filter is not at the x-over frequency. The x-over point will be on down the slope so that the 2 reduced 120hzs sum to flat (-0-). If you do get a bump, don't use the EQ (that adds phase shift), just give yourself a separation of a couple of hz (3-7 maybe). That same technique can help tame a speaker that is resonant near the x-over point. That way you save a parametric or GEQ for another problem area.

DRA

Thanks for the tips! I'll report back with the results after the gig Saturday
  • Brought the unit home today

Surprised there wasn't ANY updates or changes to the tuning list. Still now PRX700 series? What the heck?

In anticipation of the new 718XLF I'm setting up my PA2 now. My MAIN goal for Saturday before the new sub comes in is to NOT have the kick drum beat too hard in the 712s

So

110hz crossover BW48 at the tops. To capture a little bit of what the XLF cant do but to get more lows out of the mains than a 24. Went with BW as I'm not worried about any summing since the XLF is rolled off good at 110db anyway.

I'll let the subs do their natural 100hz cross 48db

I have a BW48 slope starting at 35hz for a high pass on the low... or should I just do a shelf, or does it not matter?

I also have a setting for just the PA tops when we play without subs... I'm thinking of running a hard shelf at 50 hz
  • MctwinsMctwins Posts: 113
    Hallo!

I have PRX635 and 618S-XLF with the driverack 260.

If my memories is correct and when I had PA+ the settings was for the x-overs settings:

Low: OUT

High: Highpass; BW 18, 118Hz

X-overs bandpass gain both Low and High: 0dB

There is no reason to use x-over settings for the subs because there is internal DSP in the PRX system.

Do like this....

If you use the PA2. Connect the Lows OUT to PRX718 and there is a button on the back panel on the 718XLF for the x-over, set this to "OUT". The DSP in this sub will handle the x-over settings and this is 90Hz 48dB slope according to the manual. Here you can use High pass filter from 100-120Hz BW or LR from 18-48 slopes to the main speakers. Try it out and see what sounds best. Set the x-overs band pass gain to 0dB.

If you don't use any Driverack, then in passthru connection, the button schould be "IN" and the settings will be Highpass 120Hz, 24dB/octave slope according to the manual on page 19 of the PRX700 system.

If you do like this then you don't have to fiddle with the x-overs bandpass gain and having signal loss thru the driverack.
  • Mctwins wrote:
    Hallo!

I have PRX635 and 618S-XLF with the driverack 260.

If my memories is correct and when I had PA+ the settings was for the x-overs settings:

Low: OUT

High: Highpass; BW 18, 118Hz

X-overs bandpass gain both Low and High: 0dB

There is no reason to use x-over settings for the subs because there is internal DSP in the PRX system.

Do like this....

If you use the PA2. Connect the Lows OUT to PRX718 and there is a button on the back panel on the 718XLF for the x-over, set this to "OUT". The DSP in this sub will handle the x-over settings and this is 90Hz 48dB slope according to the manual. Here you can use High pass filter from 100-120Hz BW or LR from 18-48 slopes to the main speakers. Try it out and see what sounds best. Set the x-overs band pass gain to 0dB.

If you don't use any Driverack, then in passthru connection, the button schould be "IN" and the settings will be Highpass 120Hz, 24dB/octave slope according to the manual on page 19 of the PRX700 system.

If you do like this then you don't have to fiddle with the x-overs bandpass gain and having signal loss thru the driverack.

You're right, I ended up selling my PA2 as I'm just gonna use the Xovers of JBLs & the EQ stuff will come from a new digital mixer. Had to raise some funds. In the "old analog world, the PA2 is perfect but with the new digital things you can go rackless, clutch!