Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX

basic help setting up Genelec 2.1 system

rbbrchcknrbbrchckn Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in DriveRack PX
I just have a very basic "percentage" question. I am using the driverack in my studio with a pair of Genelec 1030A's and 1091 sub, using custom setup with mono sub- what percentage should I set the speakers to? I've tried 50, 30 and 16 and all seem to be much too loud. I've saved the basic setup, and I've done a complete reset of the unit. Sorry for the obvious "newbie" question, but searching the forum and reading the manual didn't help this situation.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The % in the Driverack should not be used to adjust output. It is strictly for the internal x-over set-up (I think).
    You have 3 options to reduce the speaker volume.
    1) If you are using the PX as a x-over: Lower the x-over (filter) gain by entering that section and pressing the data wheel until the "__db" in the lower right corner is highlighted, then turn the data wheel to reduce. This will have to be done for the speakers and sub (High & Low screens). The reduction should match, unless you want a particular sound (heavy or light bass).
    Note: The input sensitivities should be the same on both tops and subs.

2) If you are NOT using the PX as a x-over: Same as above except only need to adjust the High filter gain.
    Note: Same as above.

3) On the back of the speakers and sub next to the XLR input is the Sensitivity control. Turn all of them down to minimum (+6 setting).
    Play a recorded piece that you can use as a reference.
    1st - unplug all speakers and subs (or turn off), then bring the mixer output meters to -0-. (assuming that your mixer meters above -0-, if not, reduce a notch or 2.)
    The PX output meters should be less than -0-. Adjust, if necessary, using the filter gains. -6 on the output meter would be good.
    Reduce the mixer output to minimum.
    Plug in or turn on speakers and sub.
    Replay track.
    Increase mixer output, up to but not passed -0- (or the same output as in set-up). If still too loud, reduce the filter gain more until you can get the mixer's output to meter where you want it. Be sure not to clip the driverack.
    If not loud enough, increase the Sensitivity controls of speakers and subs. If these are "positional" (switch positions) turn down the mixer levels before adjusting. If they are just standard variable pots, then you'd be OK to leave the volume up.

4) A combination of the above.

DRA