Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Suggestions for old JBL SR series speakers and D'rack PA

sracer573sracer573 Posts: 8
edited June 2014 in PA General Discussion
hey,

I'm a first time poster.

My system is

mackie Pro FX 16 mixer
DBX 2 by 15 GEQ (easier to use in the field than the GEQ on the driverack - I bypass it when I'm setting up)
Driverack PA
Highs JBL SR4722 biamped; Highs powered by a Crown XTI 1000. JBL's recommended hi pass is 1.3khz to 1.5 khz; LR 24
Mids JBL SR4722 biamped; mids powered by Crown Macrotech 3600VZ. JBL 2206H 600 watt drivers play down to 50 hz comfortably with nice tight round punchy bass
Subs JBL SR4718A Powered by a Yamaha P7000S JBL's recommended lo pass is 80 to 100 hz; they play down to 35 hz comfortably. Speakers are 4 ohm -- hence 1100 watts a side from this amp

The amp models are all in the DR PA, but these old speakers from the 90s are not.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to set up the DRPA for these old speakers? I've searched but can't find anything posted at JBL - other than the owner's manual

Pete

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Select custom bi-amp with subs.

subs:
    40hz BW18 - 100hz LR24

Mids:
    100hz LR24 - 1.5Khz LR24

Highs:
    1.5khz LR24 - out

You might find some PEQ tunings on the JBL site.

DRA
  • sracer573sracer573 Posts: 8
    Thanks DRA.

I've spent a lot of time looking on the JBL site, but haven't had luck finding anything other than the recommended Xover settings for these speakers.

I've also tried random Google searches of speaker tunings for these speakers - many of which led to this forum

Should I bother with trying to set alignment delay and parametric EQ "tunings". Is there much improvement to be had from doing that?

If so and I can't find any settings, are there some ball park alignment and delay settings I can try?

Cheers,

Pete
    OOOOPS! I meant to say "are there some ballpark delay and Parametric EQ settings I can try?"
    Time alignment can be done by measuring the distance differences of the cone / diaphragm of the drivers to the face of the cabinet. The shorter distance is the one that gets delayed.

I'll see if I can something.

DRa
    http://jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/srx_dsc260.pdf
    The 12" is the same speaker, so you could use the PEQs settings for it.

I could find no info, current or vintage, for the 2416H horn. If you can find another cabinet that used the "butt" horn that was biampable, then you would be better off.

DRA
    Thanks DRA -- I did not find that

Re delay, does a few inches difference (maybe 6" max) require a delay setting?

The spider of the 2206 is probably only 2 inches deeper than the diaphragm of the 2416 and

The spider on the 18" 2241 in the sub is probably only a few inches deeper than the spider of the 2206. The faces of the subs and the tops are on the same plane (stacked).

As for the 2417H it seems to use the same replacement diaphragm as the 2416 and it was used in the SR4722A, which was the next generation after mine which still used the butt cheek horn. it might be pretty similar if it used the same diaphragm and horn. I'll try the 2417H settings.

Thanks again

Pete
    6" (.5ms) of delay? You have the means. Why not? But, probably not a big deal.

DRA