Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Bose 802 x 4

calvinvcalvinv Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in PA General Discussion
Greetings
I've got two sets of Bose 802 for which I had two corresponding Panaray controllers.
After the first Panaray died, I was running both sets off one controller.
The second just died too.

That led me to researching other options instead of buying the new (very pricey) Bose controller.
And thus the dbx PA+ :)

Now...Two Scenarios:

Scenario A
I need to connect all four 802 to the PA+ (Two will serve LR at the beginning of the room, two LR midway into the audience)
Here's what I've figured I need to do so far:
1. Use Preset # 49 which is labelled as 'Full range on all outputs'
2. Edit the crossover Eqs to start at about 40 Hz and start a roll-off at about 19k Hz ( the speaker can't naturally produce too low or two high. Will tweak this by ear)
3. Run Auto Eq in an open space with the rta mic (my only option is a really large 5-star Ballroom. So i'll get the mic fairly close to the speaker (about 12 feet slightly off-axis) Correct? This is intended to tune the speakers to Flat.
4. Save this as a Preset. Then Run the AFS wizard just before I start an event at a new location (99% indoors)

Please note that:
1. My power amps do not have the option of Daisy chaining. So I HAVE to connect the second power amp to a second set of dbx outputs.
2. Application is always Speech only. The 802s sound suprisingly good for this application when run with the original Bose controller. Better than my JBL 515XTs. I accept that your experience may differ but, I'd rather not debate on that. It's this: even if the PA+ does about 90% of the tuning which the original controllers do, I'll be more than happy. Not because I'm too cheap to buy the original Bose controller, but because I won't be buying anymore Bose products in the future, 515XT's and their ilk are more suited to my varying needs. And the PA+ will come in useful once the 802s retire.

Scenario B
Connecting four JBL 515xt (Two will serve LR at the beginning of the room, two LR midway into the audience)

These speakers are of course listed in the PA+ Here's what I've not gotten figured out:
1. If I use the Auto Wizard setup, I'm forced to choose a Sub speaker/amp. But I don't need two/three way. How do I choose only Mains and get on with it?
2. If I choose to edit Preset # 49 like above (Full Range LR on all outputs), I can't load the 515xt as the speaker of choice!
3. I'd be happy to have full range JBL 515xt on all outs for the time I need it to double up as an Audio Distributer.
4. Alternatively, I may choose to put 515xt as my first LR pair and a set of Eon G215 as my second set. If query 2 above is answered, I'll know how to set the G2s as my second outputs.

Additional note: I know the the second LR set would ideally need to be delayed, but since I don't have the tools to do that now, ignore.

I've spent hours checking to see if this has been answered, apologies if I've missed it elsewhere.

Really apreciate all the help.
Calvin

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You were unclear as to if you already have the DRPA+. If no, consider the 260 for the needed additional PEQs and the needed delay capacity. If yes, disregard the above.

Do you not have an outdoor space for tuning?

I had to look for the question, but to get all outputs functional... yes, you do have to lie to the DRPA+. For Highs, Mids, and Lows to be active, simply select custom bi-amp with custom stereo subs. Then adjust all outputs to be "full range" (or whatever) in the x-over. Whether to use an output is immaterial.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    For Highs, Mids, and Lows to be active, simply select custom bi-amp with custom stereo subs. Then adjust all outputs to be "full range" (or whatever) in the x-over. Whether to use an output is immaterial.

DRA

Dra
    You're more than a familiar name on account of the hours of research I've already done :)
    Thanks for the help.

My basic problem still remains: The setup Wizard is the only place I can seem to choose my speakers of choice (JBL 515xt). And it only gives me the option of choosing Brand/Model for stereo mains and subs.
    Is there an option to edit the crossover configuration within the Set-up Wizard?

Alternatively, How do I edit a Preset (eg: Full Range on all outputs) to include the JBL 515xt?
    I've already purchased the PA+
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    There is no magic with being able to select a "speaker model", unless there is bi-amp info (PEQs and x-over settings). The only other thing the wizard will do is set a HPF, and that is pretty generic. You can name the preset "515 XT" if you wish.
    Remember, the wizard is where you select the output config, not the actual x-over points. The points are generically set up by the wizard, and should always be adjusted by the operator. Don't over-value the intelligence of the wizard.

DRA
  • Options
    Thank you
    I ran the Auto Eq which got me about 60% there and then spent almost an an hour tweaking by ear.
    Cal