Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

DRPX and Mackie HR824 monitors

Eyes HockeyEyes Hockey Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in DriveRack PX
Hi,

I just purchased the DriveRack PX and am hooking it up between my Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro and my Mackie HR824 monitors.

I mainly DJ, but am getting into playing guitar and singing too. My mic is already hooked through a Behringer Shark DSP110 and works great, so I'm not looking to use the feedback feature on the dbx also so my guitar feedback won't be affected. Also, feedback protection will not be needed for DJing records.

I have used the StereoMains preset and performed the AutoEQ using just one (1) speaker turned on with the RTA mic about four (4) feet away sitting on some pillows on my couch directly in front of the speaker...with the tip of the mic not right up against the pillow and hanging over the edge about a half inch.

I am NOT using a HPF crossover. My Mackie HR824s have that already and are set to the lowest setting...37 Hz.

My Mackie HR824s are set to:
Input Sesitivity = Normal (all the way up)
Acoustic Space = C (I used to have them in B prior to getting the DRPX)
Low Frequency = Normal 37 Hz
High Frequency = Normal 0 db
Power Mode = On (using the front switch to turn them off when not in use and then also turning off the power strip they are in)

The Mackie HR824s expect a +4 db signal in the Normal (all the way up) position. I thought I read somewhere in the manaul the Normal (all the way up) is the most ideal setting if the signal can be tailored for the +4 db input. However, I cannot find that quickly right now in the manual. Maybe I read that online somewhere.

I have the limiter set to On, OverEasy to Off, and set to 0 db.

Question #1: Does that limiter setting seem good for these speakers? When I play my turntables through my Pioneer DJM-600 with a +4 db signal on my meters and the output tuned for the Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro to also see +4db on it's meters, the dbx limiter setting lets me turn the Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro up to +3 or 4 db before the clipping lights come on on my Mackie HR824s. I would be playing with it in the 0-Unity position for my normal max volume which gives me the +4 db LEDs occasionally coming on. I mainly wanted to get this to protect me from other DJs that mix full on in the red, but I see the limiter is NOT a hard ceiling like I thought it would be. The GEQ is another reason I wanted this.

Question #2: I saw a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0S_kSyVAw) where this guy set his Graphical EQ manually by turning everyting all the way down and then starting with a mid frequency, set it to 0 and then moved higher and turned that one up until it overpowered the previous one and then turned it down just a bit and then moved on to the next and did the same thing. Then, he came back to the mids and worked his way down. Any thoughts on this procedure? I was thinking of trying it and comparing it to what the AutoEQ did for me for the room I'm set up in.

Any other tips you may have for the DRPX and the Mackie HR824s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    While reading some of the other posts, I guess I don't need to use the limiter because my speakers have a built in limiter already.

So, my question is mainly on the Graphical EQ setting...using the RTA mic with one speaker four (4) feet away at speaker level on some pillows...versus setting them by ear using the YouTube video link I posted above...

Any advice or tips still welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks!!!