Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

Has this forum been abandoned?

QscJblGuyQscJblGuy Posts: 5
edited August 2014 in DriveRack PX
This PX forum seems to have been abandoned. The PX was pitched to me by Sweetwater as a $500 intelligent set-it-and-leave-it miracle box. The older posts on this forum paint the picture of the PX having allot of issues, and it’s now $149. Is the PX+ or the PA2 the miracle box?

If I have PX, can I firmware upgrade to PX+?

Would we be better served to abandon the old PX, and invest in the PX+ or a newer up-gradable box?

I run sound from stage and cannot scroll thru menus or mess around much in the clubs. I was hoping the PX would shoot out its pink or white noise for 10 seconds and set everything up like a robot.

$149 is a great deal, but not if it involves all this legwork of setting RTA mics on pillows or going outside with my whole system and what not.

This is what I gathered from scouring over the posts in this forum - can anyone comment or point me in the right direction:

1) SETUP : This seems to set crossover points for known speaker systems based on “canned values�. Does it set more than that? (EQ limiter, compressor, feedback, etc…?) I can’t tell.

2) CROSSOVER – This has many options, but the wisdom here seems to suggest the same 2 types of filters/frequencies, so are all are these knobs that useful?

3) COMPRESSOR: Don’t use it (WTF???)

4) LIMITER: Don’t use it (WTF???)

5) SUBHARMONIX : Don’t use it (WTF???)

6) AUTO-EQ – Don’t use it. It doesn’t work (WTF???)

So the only “wizard� that seems to be endorsed is the auto-feedback. The auto balance does not seem useful to me because I run Mono and even if I didn’t, this feature would only serve a listener sitting in the exact center seat of the room.

Final question: Is there a value of just having the PX in-line (even if not using all these functions)? or at this point, is it more efficient to use speakers with built in crossovers/ DSP's, and a mixer with a graphic EQ? IF the PX+ or PA2 is the miracle-box for the working musician, can there be a trade-in program from DBX, for those of us who bought the PX last year?

Comments

• Options
    Krazy BKrazy B Posts: 51
    Love my PX rack. It saves me so much time setting up as I also too side mix. I have 25 venues stored in mine and have started to over write soem seldom visited rooms.

I learned a lot by playing around with the PX and using this forum.

I use Auto EQ in new venues for the first time and have only fined tuned EQ on a handful of occasions.

I am starting to use the compressor more and more but dont have a need for the limiter or Sub Harmonic Synth for our band work.