Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

231S - Balanced Inputs/Outputs

z06krisz06kris Posts: 3
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the correct location. I recently acquired a 231S EQ, and was a bit unsure about something. I was under the impression it had balanced TRS (and XLR) inputs/outputs. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that meant it supported a stereo signal on each of the two EQ channels.

When I utilize a TRS 1/4" cable for input, and then check the output, I'm getting both channels combined on the output (i.e., mono). Essentially, its a stereo signal going in the EQ, and its a mono signal coming out.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks,
-Kris

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    TRS, while it CAN and IS used for a stereo signal, is not applicable in processing gear such as EQs.
    You will need an adapter to separate the L (Tip) and R (Ring) of the TRS male connector. Radio Shack should have what you need.

Stereo 1/4" Female (TRS) to mono split 1/4" Males (TS). One into each channel of the EQ.

DRA
  • Dra, thanks for the reply.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the 231S doesn't support stereo signals per channel. Rather, a stereo signal split across 2 channels (i.e., mono signal in each channel).

Basically, your reply confirms what I'm experiencing on my end. I guess I was confused by the wording of the 231S's spec-sheet/manual. It stated that balanced inputs are supported, but I'm now guessing that was simply referring to the TRS (or XLR) styled plugs?
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Balanced is simply the signal sent down a path "in phase" on one conductor and down a 2nd conductor "out of phase". Noise (electrical hum or buzz) in the cable will be at equal levels on both conductors. Balanced equipment will then reject the noise, because it will be "in phase" with the itself. The real signal is accepted because it is "out of phase" with itself. A stereo signal (L&R) on a TRS or XLR can't be "balanced" unless the Left channel and Right channel are each sent down its own balanced line.

DRA