Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

Proper Use of AFS224 for Portable System

dfborndfborn Posts: 17
Hi. I help run sound for a church without a building. Each week we setup and tear down our service in a YMCA gym. Here's our system:

Mackie 1642 VLZ3 (mono out to channel 1 of DBX AFS 224 // aux 1 send to channel 2 of DBX AFS 224)
DBX AFS 224 (channel 1 out to 2 Electro-Voice ELX 112p + 2 Electro-Voice ELX 118p // channel 2 out to channel 1 QSC RMX 1450 Amp)
QSC RMX 1450 (channel 1 out to 2 EV SV100+ used as monitor wedges).

Soon, we're going to replace the QSC Amp and SV100s with in-ear monitors. They be run out of the boards aux sends, through a DBX 166xs mainly used as a peak limiter, into an on-stage headphone amp (ALTO HPA-6).

Here's the deal. Recently, we've been having problems with feedback from the wedges - going to in-ears should helps since we'll eliminate them. But I'm also curious as to whether we're using the AFS224 correctly. I didn't buy it, don't know much about it, it's just been in the rack and powered up with everything else. I've read the manual and somewhat understand it's usage when it's installed in a venue and continually used there, but that's not the case for us. For the most part, things are the same (it's the same gym), but the speaker locations might move slightly and the mics and monitors are definitely repositioned from week-to-week.

What would be the proper procedure for us to use the AFS224 in this kind of environment? Thanks!

Comments

• Thanks DRA. I looked through the forum posts before posting, but used your search just to make sure I didn't miss anything. There's a lot of helpful stuff there on the 224, but I'm still curious about how we should use the AFS224.

First, I've got a really simple question: Do we need to run the setup up every time it's power cycled or will it carry over settings from week-to-week?

Second, I've read that the AFS224 is somewhat dated technology. Would there be something more useful for our setup - especially in light of the fact that the people who run the board lack even more experience than I do?
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    #2 - Well since this is the Driverack forum, you could update to a Driverack processor. That would allow you to eliminate the AFS 224, the 166, and add a 30 band EQ and x-over, all in one box. Depends of course if you are running mono FOH and only one monitor mix.

#1 - Yes the AFS will keep the fixed filters in memory until you clear them. The main thing to remember is that the unit HAS to be in LIVE mode for the LIVE filters to work. If not they just sit there idol.

For the best results, week to week, draw up a floor lay out and make sure that your set-up is as close to the same every time. Measure with a tape measure and note down the dimensions. The main considerations should be the distance from the wall behind the stage area to the monitors, the distance of the mics to the wall and monitors, and the location and angle of the monitors. Monitors squared to the wall will do a bounce from the wall to the ceiling and back to the mic. Whereas an angled monitor will bounce off the wall (at an angle) to the ceiling (at an angle). Each bounce carries it farther from the mic, and that is good.

DRA
  • Thanks again for a reply DRA. Sorry. Didn't realize I posted this in the wrong forum. I couldn't find one for this product so just tried to put in a general forum rather than one for another product. We'll look at the Driverack down the road, but with our current budget, we're stuck with this.

Your answer for #1 is a huge help. And, if I'm understanding you correctly: assuming that we get each week's layout as close as possible to the initial setup of the AFS224 (and I recognize that this itself is a huge assumption), we should just be able to power it up and make sure it's in live mode.

I understand that it would probably be best to redo the AFS224 initial setup process every week, but some weeks that just isn't possible.
  • DRA - I've looked into a couple of the DriveRack Units. Right now, we run our mains mono, but have the subs on a separate channel so we can control them independently (as I mentioned above, both the mains and subs are active). Currently, we just use one monitor mix.

Could would do this all with PA+ or PA2?
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I assume you mean aux fed subs. That throws a wrench in, but if you are coming straight off the board with your subs that could be left as is. How are you getting the upper frequencies of the kick drum, bass guitar, keys etc, into the mains?

DRA
  • Our mains come from the mono out, subs on a sub out (from the sub busses on the board not an out designed for a subwoofer). Mains go through channel 1 on our AFS224, subs channel 2.

To answer you question, nothing really. The ELX112p has a built crossover for when it's paired with a sub, but I'm pretty that just cuts lows out.
  • Also, I feel like this should factor in. This past week, we used in-ears. We ran them out of the aux send, through a 166xs (really only using it as a limiter). But, based on DRA's earlier comment, I'm rethinking the 166xs and thinking about swapping it (and the AFS224) for a DriveRack (not sure which one would be best yet). Could we run the aux send through a DR and use it to do the limiting as well as some EQing?

Thanks for putting up with all the questions and my ignorance - at least I don't want to remain ignorant.