Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Moving to powered speakers...Driverack PA+

recoveryrecovery Posts: 15
edited October 2014 in PA General Discussion
Been here before, and read thru "Start Here" again as a refresher, along with some similar posts.

Powered speakers are now used in my system (EV ETX35P)
Still running passive subs, JBL JRX118 (x2) powered with Peavey ipr2 5000.
First show I ran PA+ just like I used to, x-over, auto EQ, etc.
Everything was great, but should I be running highs full range, and subs crossed?

In a few days I will be adding some EV LiveX 18" Powered Subs.
How should I setup then? Full range using DSP on speakers, or crossed thru PA+

I really like the AFS, and have good results with Auto EQ RTA on towel, placed on floor, or table, in front of one stack.

Questioning the future use of PA+

Comments

• Also...need to include a full range stereo out to tops option, using the speakers crossover.
    This would save on some cable run....I have read a few other posts on this, but they were crossed at DRPA.
    The ETX speakers sound killer full range with recorded music, even without subs.
    Just wondering if anyone else has tried different hookups.
    Don't want to use anything I don't really need, or hold on to fairly expensive rack gear that is losing value daily.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    It sounds like you are think that you can divide the frequencies at the DRPA and send multiple bands to input into the speaker, then control at the DRPA. You will only send the crossed HIGH output of DRPA to the 35P's and the crossed LOW output from DRPA to the subs. You can also chose to send the complete full range signal to the 35P's and use it's DSP to be the x-over and send the low freqs to the subs.

It all depends on how much control and tuning capability you want at the DRPA vs minimal cable runs.

DRA
  • Dra....Yes, I was using 35P with PASSIVE subs, but we are full powered now with the addition of some liveX subs.
    So, I am assuming that not that much will change with DRPA+.
    I will setup as stereo full range, high L/R will be the only out from DR...skip balance, run auto eq, afs, no compressor, limiter yes, but I need to gain structure again for limiter, and the powered speakers?
    Can I be using some kind of creative setup using other outs...mid/low on monitors? Just wondering about that, monitors are pretty good now, but it would be nice to have processing, the afs works great for us on the mains.
    Right now I am not using any eq, or notch filters from the digital board.
    Also crossover point on speaker dsp...35P are high end 3-way. Subs are entry level.
    Thanks for your help!!!
  • Nevermind the "creative setup" thing. I read thru the post by Gadget, and I will need more monitor mixes,
    I have noticed that some are being advised to crossover with the DRPA, and others with the speakers dsp.
    I will try both, but would there be a reason to do one or the other? Is there more control with the DRPA?
    IE: the BW/LR choices...Do some speaker brands have a better DSP that would make you(Dra) want to use that.
    I sounds like a stupid question, but I am curious of your opinion Dra, or Gadget.
    recovery wrote:
    I have noticed that some are being advised to crossover with the DRPA, and others with the speakers dsp.
    I will try both, but would there be a reason to do one or the other? Is there more control with the DRPA?
    IE: the BW/LR choices...Do some speaker brands have a better DSP that would make you(Dra) want to use that.
    quote]

Auto EQ them (outside in an open space) and see how flat the response is. If there is a lot of work to do, then the internal DSP is not sufficient. Either the engineers didn't try very hard, or they tuned it to sound a certain way. If they sound good and are not prone to feedback, I would think hard about using a single DR output. However, multiple outputs allow the added ability to increase the sub output at FOH (assuming the DR is at the mix position). Multiple also allows extra tonal adjustments (per output).

DRA
  • So far I have played a couple of shows with the DR set at full range (2x2),,,EV ETX has a selectable x-over, 80, 100, 120.
    I chose 100, as that worked well before. I was not able to tell any improvement, and maybe the tops sounded a bit harsher in the high end.
    Next show I will x-over with DR. That sounded better with my passive subs, and I do like the level control that the DR has.
    Still need to outdoor / baseline eq, it is hard to find time to unload everything off trailer between shows working a full time job.
    Am I right about full range stereo being 2x2? What do the numbers represent. It works better if I start with a preset that has what I'm using. Also there is no Active Custom in setup, so I choose Custom Speakers, Custom Amps.
    Feedback is not a problem, and I usually have to just about max out channel, and main outputs to get something to catch.
    It is very loud at that point.
    2x2 = 2 (stereo) in, 2 (stereo) out
    2x3 = 2 in, stereo highs and mono lows
    2x4 = 2 in, stereo highs, stereo lows out
    etc