Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

Auto-EQ

dfborndfborn Posts: 17
Ok. I've read all the posts in the FAQ about it multiple times and searched the forum and read even more on the Auto EQ. I've played around with the process once using the new indoor method and had semi-favorable results, going to try it outdoors and see how that compares - just need to find the space.

However, I have one remaining question which I suspect is a dumb question with a simple answer, but I'm asking anyway.

So, I run the AEQ with a flat response as the goal. Move the problem areas of the speakers from the GEQ to the PEQ and then run the AEQ again to check my work.

Got it. Then I can go into a venue and have a flat system which I can then tweak to the room, or compare to the AEQ ran in the room.

But, what about the other precurves? Am I correct in assuming that once I have the 0 curve set using the PEQs that I can then run the AEQ for the other precurves and store those as well (without having to change the PEQs?

Or am I missing something (or many things)?

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The goal is to have the speakers "flat" to start with, and unaffected by boundary reflections and nulls. The venue AEQ should never go passed the GEQ (don't alter the PEQ's). Still the venue AEQ results should be suspect (hence, why we do the outdoor (or indoor) method). Only trust the 170hz to 700hz range (unless fully cut or boosted). For those, suspect foul play and reduce by about 1/2. The same goes for the under-170hz and over-700hz readings, expect to alter by about 1/2 and also use your ears.

Pre-curves: I would suggest that if you want to use a pre-curve variant in the venue you should pre-tune to that same curve. You might consider (recommended) if you think you might, set up presets with each of the curves you would consider ("flat" for sure). Then you can switch back and fork to test.

DRA