Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

AFS-224 suggestions

LightGuy48LightGuy48 Posts: 8
I've got a pair of 224's that I use for my monitor mixes and I really love the units, they have worked very well but I was reading something recently in the manual that made me re-think some of my usage but I'm not sure how is the best way to use the feature.

In the manual it states you can switch the filters as you ring out the system. I'm just not sure how you can utilize this feature. For example, let say if you have 12 fixed filters would you want to ring out the first 3 at high music, the next three at med music, the next 3 at low music and the last 3 speech? Or maybe reverse that order? Or maybe do 6 and 6 at high and med music? Or just all of them at high music? Obviously you're changing the width/Q of the filter

One thing I've quit doing is using the live filters and just ring out beforehand. Most everything I do is live music in a club environment and I've found the live filters are too easily tricked into catching a ring from a guitar. If I have a ring issue during a show I just take care of it by hand.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Since the first rings will be the most problematic, I like to start with speech then advance to the more narrow notches. Remember, that even the speech setting is far more narrow than a 1/3 octave eq.

DRA
  • Options
    I also prefer to use speech for the live, since they will catch the fastest.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks! I appreciate the tip. I'm curious how many filters do you typically do? i.e. like 12 fixed filters?

As I mentioned I'm considering dropping my live filters and going with only fixed filters or maybe just a small number of live filters because with the bands I work with their guitars seem to trigger the AFS too easily. I've done numerous sets with zero feedback yet I'll see 4 - 5 live filters engaged.
  • Options
    It depends on how many lives you want to have. It you only think you'll need a few, then just leave a few + one. If you have 18 (for example) fixed filters, you can just not fill them. When the system is super hot and you are suggling to get more frequencies to squeal, then switch to live mode. You don't have to fill them all, but the extra fixed are still there if you need to go back into fixed mode. Try shortening the live release time.

Does your mixer have the ability to matrix the vocals as a group to each mix? That seams like wishful thinking, but would solve your guitar problem.

DRA
  • Options
    Well of course via setup mode I can define the total number of filters and then how many live filters I want. Generally it seems like if I set up 12 fixed filters (maybe too many but yet why would they have the option for up to 24 filters?) I've rarely had a ring during a live performance so I've thought about going from 24 filters 12 fixed/12 live down to 18 filters or maybe 16 filters and just doing 12 fixed and 4 - 6 live filters.

You mentioned using a matrix, so what were you thinking? Vocals into an aux and instruments into another aux then sum them into a matrix and using the AFS as an insert on the aux?
  • Options
    LightGuy48 wrote:
    You mentioned using a matrix, so what were you thinking? Vocals into an aux and instruments into another aux then sum them into a matrix and using the AFS as an insert on the aux?

Yes, if it will.

DRA