Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Blowing Sub Speakers

bukak65bukak65 Posts: 12
edited March 2015 in PA General Discussion
Hi,
I'm having a problem. I've blown my subs twice now. Been using it fine for 2 years now and out of the blue. I have a PA plus. Running tops stereo and subs bridged. Done the whole setup wizard thing. Once I am done I usually raise the sub amp up in the crossover til I hear them (per tech support). All the instruments gain are set to green just before yellow on the board. Last show I notice the clipping light on the Driverack. Checked all the instruments again. All in the green. Crown XS1200 and Selenium speakers. Anyone have any ideas? driving myself crazy

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Were the amps clipping?
    Once the gain structure is set, you should turn down the tops until you hear the subs.
    Was the DRPA saying "CLIP" or were the limiters on the outputs igniting?

DRA
  • Options
    Amp was not clipping. It said clip but not all the time. I didn't use any limiters. After I blew the first set. I called DBX tech. They told me to run the setup. If the bass was to low. (Which it always is), bring the low level in the crossover til it's pleasing.
  • Options
    What are the subs' x-over settings?
    What about compression, are you using it on the DRPA+? Any outboard gear before the DRPA+?
    What is the mixer?

DRA
  • Options
    Crossover settings are 40-85. No compression. I'm using a Lexicon MX400 for FX going thru a Mix Wizard. Returns are thru STI 1
  • Options
    Is it possible that your cabs have sprung a leak, allowing too much air flow? Have you always run the high pass at 40hz? That is really low for most applications.

DRA
  • Options
    When I set up the drive rack through the pink noise that's what it always defaults to.
  • Options
    Curious. What does the Auto-EQ do to the frequencies 60hz and under after pinking?

DRA