Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Powered Tops with Passive Bottoms DR Set Up

rgalv001rgalv001 Posts: 1
edited May 2015 in PA General Discussion
I'm purchasing 2 powered JBL PRX712's for mains and using 2 JBL SRX718's as bottoms with a Crown xti4002 bridged. How do I set up my DR PA+ with these speakers? Using this setup for smaller venues and going to my 2 JBL SRX 725's for large venue. Please advise.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    you should be able to select the PRX512 from the list. Then cut back the subs 2 or 3 db from the wizards recommendation.

I am basing that on the 712 having +2db peak output or the 512.

DRA
  • Options
    I set it up that way but the kick drum sounded lame. No punch. Is there something else I could do to get it right. I'm using an Audix D6. Are the PRX712's not equipped to handle a solid kick coming through along with an SRX718 sub? I'm hoping it'll work and not have to go with with PRX715's instead.
  • Options
    What x-over point did the wizard give you? Did you auto EQ? Any major cuts on adjacent frequencies? Where?

DRA
  • Options
    31.5 on lows from what I saw> I also selected the Highs option it gave of JBL PRX512M on speakers. What should the x-over settings be? I did not Auto EQ cause I don't have the ref mic. I probably should get one.
  • Options
    100 - 120hz is pretty typical for a 12".
  • Options
    Once I select stereo speakers PRX 512M & mono Subs SRX718/pwr amp bridged xti4002 and save. I press the xover button and what settings do I use for that combination? I am just trying to get it right. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    What did the wizard set them at? I am curious.
  • Options
    H=90.0 Hz 24LR 0.0 dB
    L= 30.0 Hz BW24 -18.0dB I click Next PG> then shows: L =80.0 Hz 24 LR
  • Options
    That is really odd. Putting the knee of the filter right on top of the kick's fundamental (80hz)? A 10hz gap to boot? Perhaps there is a huge bump in response at 85hz. -18db on the subs?

A few things to try:
    1 - If the driverack is going to cut the subs that much, don't bridge the amp. The amp will run better un-bridged anyway. Set the amp to parallel and run one sub per side. Re-configure the Wizard to reflect the sub amp change.
    2 - Move the x-over point up 10hz, but leave the gap. So 80 moves to 90, and 90 moves to 100. See how that sounds.
    3 - Compare to these changes. Both points to 90hz, then both points to 100hz.
    4 - Go with the one that sounds best to you.
    5 - Raise the subs LPF to 35hz... compare, then raise to 40hz... compare. Go with the cleanest.

DRA

PS - Be sure to let me know how it goes and what you ended up with.
  • Options
    I will set it up in the next week or 2.
    Thanks!