Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads Zone Pro 1260/1261 Zone Pro 1260/1261 General Discussion
Options

multiple 1261's and SPDIF

Greetings,

I recently helped install a soundsystem at a local bowling alley and working with a rack of 3 DBX 1261s. The 1261s are controlling different 'zones' and areas, and while I'm not exactly sure why the audio installer did it this way it's what I have to work with. The bowling alley pipes in Internet Music from their source account, and I'm looking for the cleanest and most efficient way to deliver the source stream to all the 1261s.

Previous installer just uses the stereo / headphone jack from the PC and runs the analog feed to a 1261 input where it's split to the other two 1261 because they can share these inputs, correct? I don't want to do it this way because the sound from onboard PC sound cards leaves a lot to be desired and I proved this by hooking up several different PC's and laptops and showing everybody how the sound was quite a bit different, likely do to the low quality amps on them.

I assume the 1261 has a much better and more neutral commercial level DAC, and would like to send the digital signal from the PC to the 1261 via SPDIF. I bought a USB / SPDIF converter for the internet PC, and this works fine and the 1261 picks it up no problem. However, while I haven't had a chance to work with it in more detail the past few days my understanding is the 1261 *cannot* share SPDIF inputs with multiple 1261s like it can analog, which makes no sense to me. This means I have to split the SPDIF coaxial connection, or find another solution.

Looking for advice on this problem or a better way to do it.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Sorry. Just seeing this. Use a USB pre-amp. I use an Audio2dj, but is is dual channel. You just need a single one. There are several out there. Peavey makes one, and others. Do a search. Hope this helps.

DRA