Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PA2

Need some clarifications

robgoldbergrobgoldberg Posts: 16
edited September 2016 in DriveRack PA2
Hi folks. I had a Driverack PA2 a long time ago and then got rid of it.

Now, all this time later, I have actually purchased two new PA2's, one to use in my wedding ceremony rig (2 QSC KW122's with no subs) and one in my reception rig (2 QSC KW122's and 2 QSC KW181 subs).

I know it's going to take time for me to acclimate myself to using the Driverack. To be honest the biggest reason I got them was for feedback control. I tried several other devices and I didn't feel they worked that well.

But rather than asking a million questions and getting swamped with great information that will confuse me, I am going to start with only two questions:

1. As I use my big system now, without the Driverack, I set all 4 speakers to 0dB on the speakers (volume knob straight up) and then control everything from my Allen & Health MixWizard 3 mixer. When I start configuring the Driverack for my speakers, which are specifically listed, it tells me to set the KW122's at 19% and the subs at 22%. That seems very low to me but perhaps I don't understand the concept. Can you explain why I would be told to set them so low? What if I change those values when that screen comes up to 50%? What will the Driverack do with that modified value?

2. Currently I use aux controlled subs. This is very useful for me because at different venues I will sometimes get guests complaining that the bass is too loud and I will have to turn it down at least for a while. I am doing weddings (high end DJ / entertainment company) and the guest is always right :-(. When I start using the Driverack with my particular array of speakers, how will I easily control the volume of the subs if I can't be going to the volume knobs on the subs themselves?

Thanks all. I think I'm glad to be back learning to use a Driverack but I know I have a lot to learn to start making them work properly for me. Initially I will have to trust most of the automatic settings until I have time to learn how to fine tune things. But for now some advice regarding the above two questions will really help me get started at least using it.

Rob

Comments

• Hi Rob,

Unsure about the first question sorry.
    You can adjust the output volume for each speaker set using the gain control on the crossover pane.
    You can always go for the amps though - it will yield the same result - just remember to put them back before the next gig.
    If you've got problems with feedback - especially on your smaller system, I'd suggest you review the basics: Mic placement (ensure it is behind - or out of the throw of the speaker system) channel EQ (loose the low-end boom, ensure highs are detailed but not harsh) and overall operating volume (just loud enough to hear clearly without being forceful). With these in mind, you shouldn't need a Driverack to manage feedback (which may have an adverse affect on your sound quality but hacking into frequency spikes that aren't feedback)

All the best,
    JR
  • - Every "volume knob" of every pro amplifier, is nothing more than a (electric) resistor. Thus, at "-∞" the impedance is maximum and at "0" (or 100%) the impedance is minimum...

- The existence of "volume knobs", is just to help you "match" different levels of (electric) signal. The "ideal" set-up, is: Mixer's / Console's VU @ 0db = Amplifier's VU @ 0db...

- By setting "volume knobs" of a pro amplifier at "0db" or 100% (which simply means minimum impedance), you do not have (the necessary) headroom at your volume knobs of your mixer / console. And this is completely wrong!

- If Driverack suggest - set the "volumes" at ~20%, this means that the inputs of these amplifiers are too "sensitive". And (of course) at that specific set point, you will have - get the correct performance...
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    FYI - The original post is almost a year old. Not sure why it was never responded to, but it is what it is.

DRA