Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

DriveRack PA2 and JBL EON 615 Speakers - Can't Configure

stickyfusionstickyfusion Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in PA Connectivity
I have owned the Drive Rack PA2 and 2 JBL EON 615 powered speakers for some time now and have never truly been able to get them configured properly or at least to where I would think it sounds good. For starters the PA2 doesn't have a speaker profile for the EON 615 so I am left to my own devices with trying something manually which I am inexperienced and don't really know much about. I have emailed DBX support and they have been somewhat helpful on posting ways to achieve max gain but not really how to do it with my setup as it is different. I do not have external amplifiers, etc. they are built into my speakers. I feel like there has to be people using the PA2 with power speakers but I don't have subwoofers and that changes the setup type of the PA2. I wish someone could lend a hand with "my setup". It is so far from complicated, it is a very simple powered 2-way setup with a driverack PA2, A TC Electronic M-One XL for effects, reverb, etc for vocals, a Samson SM10 line mixer and that's it. All that aside I would like to know how to set a max gain (limiter) on my system. DBX support sent me documentation on that as well but it assumes your mixer can produce a pink noise sound which mine does not. My laptop going into line 1 of my mixer can and the PA2 also can as well. It seems my mixer never shows any clipping in the tests and my speakers never get loud enough without hurting my own ears to be able to get them to peak with the pink noise. So I am you standard newbie with what is hopefully some decent equipment trying to get started but never able to get any assistance on how to setup my system properly. I see lots of people look over my posts on other boards and they glance over them with no replies of any attempt to help. That wasn't quite what I was hoping for but I decided I would try again here and see what happens. I am not stupid or an idiot, I am just new to setting all of this up. I also have the RTA mic with the PA2 but it gives me varying results as well. So here is what I would like if possible.

1. What setup speaker/amp preset type do I use for my JBL EON 615 on the PA2?
2. How do I set max gain with my current setup as I have mentioned it above?

Let's start there, I may have more questions if I can achieve these 2 basics.

Thanks again

Matt

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The PA2 doesn't have a speaker profile for the EON 615. Just select the most recent Eon version listed which is probably the 515.
    It is so far from complicated, it is a very simple powered 2-way setup with a driverack PA2. While the speaker is a 2-way cabinet, the set-up for the PA2 is considered full range.
    All that aside I would like to know how to set a max gain (limiter) on my system. DBX support sent me documentation on that as well but it assumes your mixer can produce a pink noise sound which mine does not. You would need to play pink noise from an external source (CD or laptop). My laptop going into line 1 of my mixer can and the PA2 also can as well. It seems my mixer never shows any clipping in the tests and my speakers never get loud enough without hurting my own ears to be able to get them to peak with the pink noise. That is the problem with powered speakers, but the good part is the speaker has built in limiting. You can set the PA2's limiter only while in operation and if you see the speaker limiting during performance.
    I am not stupid or an idiot, I am just new to setting all of this up. :?: Where did that come from? I also have the RTA mic with the PA2 but it gives me varying results as well. So here is what I would like if possible.

1. What setup speaker/amp preset type do I use for my JBL EON 615 on the PA2?
    2. How do I set max gain with my current setup as I have mentioned it above? 12:00 is unity gain on many powered mixers. That is a good beginning point.